Saturday, December 08, 2007

Pot Legalization Initiative Approved

I haven't been paying much attention to potential upcoming ballot initiatives lately, so I was glad the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat made mention of a ballot initiative that's recently been approved for circulation. This one will legalize possession and use of marijuana for adults, 21 years and over.

I haven't done any signature gathering in some time but this sounds like a fun one. I tried to find a source for the petitions, assuming they're available, but came up blank. I did find one of the sponsor's web sites, though, and e- mailed him for more information. If I hear back from him, I'll post that info here.

This sounds like something everyone can get behind, despite some of the backlash we've been seeing over Prop 215 (medical marijuana), right? Democrats, Republicans, Greens and, of course the Libertarians can now join together for a common cause. Greg and Carol [Conners], Mike [Harvey], Joy [Finley], Marc [Matteoli] Bill [Barnum], David [Cobb] and Jake [Pickering]...you all with me?

Ok, let's all join hands and work on this together. I'll let you all know when the petitions are available.

9 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Fantastic stuff.I'll contact NORML and get some petitions.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might be just the thing to make that tourist train ride a little more entertaining. An ice chest full of beers and 2-3 pallets of potato chips would be the only thing missing....All Aboard!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

esquan wrote, ".I'll contact NORML and get some petitions.".

Except the Press- Democrat article quoted a NORML spokesman as saying NORML wasn't supporting the initiative, so I don't know that they'd have any petitions. I was thinking of seeing if the Marijuana Policy Project (www.mpp.org) had any info on it, but have to do something else right now. You might try them.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Update: Received a response from one of the sponsors of the initiative. He referred me to their volunteer coordinator and didn't say anything regarding whether the petitions have been printed yet or not.

I've sent an e-mail to the volunteer coordinator.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Thanks for the info, Fred, but even NORML thinks this won't happen. Do you have any good leads on stopping the war or catching OBL?

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be voting against it.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm sure most of the pot growers will be voting against it.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Update: Finally received a response from their Volunteer Coordinator. He wanted my address to send me some petitions. Didn't say they're actually available so don't know if they'll come sooner or later.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg Conners shouldn't be making fun of Fred. Greg, if you want to stop the war, go tell your buddy Mike Thompson to support impeachment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home