Saturday, December 24, 2011

Freezing Your Ass Off

Ever done that? I have at least a couple times. That's why I can't help but be a bit skeptical about the story of the 14 year old kid that supposedly got lost a couple days ago and spent the night in the woods outside Fortuna in these freezing cold temperatures. From what I could see, he fared pretty darn well.

One time I remember really freezing my ass off was back in the early 70s. A couple friends and I went camping in the Cleveland National Forest in Southern California. We drove up the Ortega Highway after dark, pulled off the side of the road and walked a short ways down a ravine by flashlight.

After the obligatory joint or two, we tried to sleep, but it was freezing cold. Not sure what the temperature was but all we had was those old square dacron sleeping bags that were never much good for anything other than using for covers when you're sleeping on someone's couch. It was too cold to sleep and we froze our asses off.

It wasn't until two days later I felt normal again. I was chilled to the bone the whole next day- even in the Southern California sun- and felt absolutely miserable.

That's why I'm a bit skeptical after watching the TV news clip last night of the kid in Fortuna having been found. He supposedly spent the night out with temperatures in the 30s, maybe low 40s, and he seemed in pretty good shape. I would think he'd almost be comatose from hypothermia after spending all night in those temperatures wearing only a T and sweatshirt.

Never mind what I think are some inconsistencies in the story. Something seems fishy just from the good condition he seemed to be in.

Addendum: I just watched the KIEM News video regarding this that ran last night and noticed something rather strange:

Never mind the rest of the stuff. Just notice that the kid seems to be the only one shown who has his outergarment unzipped. Everybody else has their sweatshirt or jacket zipped up. Some even have their hoods on. The kid doesn't.

Don't you think if someone spent an entire night in low 30 degree temperatures they'd at the very least have their hoodie zipped up? With those kind of temperatures we're talking life threatening hypothermia, yet he seems comfortable enough to not have his sweatshirt zipped up or his hood on after a whole night supposedly outdoors. Doesn't make sense.

5 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Fred. I secretly wish he was hospitalized right now, too.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Nope. You're an ass and too stupid to understand what I'm saying.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've added an addendum to my original post.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add you are still inappropriate and wrong.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Inappropriate? Only if someone doesn't want to have their feel- good Xmas story questioned.

Wrong? Then explain to me why the kid can be seen with his sweatshirt unzipped and no hood on after supposedly spending the whole night outside with temperatures in the low 30s wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and sweatshirt.

Those sort of temperatures for that long should have him at least semi- conscious from hypothermia. Since he's on his feet, I would expect him to be shaking so much with his teeth chattering from the chill that he could barely speak.

Yet there he stands with his sweatshirt unzipped looking as if he had to cool off after a long walk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home