Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Any of you remember Democratic Senator Daniel Moynihan? I vaguely do. I recall thinking of him as just another airhead Democrat. This article in City Journal paints a different picture of Moynihan:

"Daniel Patrick Moynihan was a liberal who wasn’t above challenging orthodoxy, for which he occasionally found himself in trouble. His 1965 report on the decline of the black family earned him the enmity of a generation of civil rights activists. They accused him of “victim-blaming.

Seems there was actually something to like about him although I wouldn't have thought so at the time. I guess that's what happens when all you have is TV and print news to depend on for information and no internet.

4 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? There was plenty of information about Moynihan pre-internet. Blaming the print and TV media for your ignorance is like blaming the school system someone's inability to read.

Try and exercise more personal responsibility Fred.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the dark too, Fred. Campaigns are mostly propaganda, I don't watch tv, I don't subscribe to news, and now it's even hard to properly research normal stuff thanks to google edits and fake redirects.
The joys of learning.
Know the Constitution, so you know what's NOT supposed to be an issue on the ballots, and hope for the best I guess.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Democratic Jon said...

Not sure what there is to like about this position. It would be great if you felt free to express your views.

I'm only aware of this because of a GREAT book I'd highly recommend to anyone interested in politics - Nixonland by Rick Perstein. Google Nixonland Moynihand and click on the link for the book. You'll find the passage on pgs 394 to 396.

I also think anon 12:09 is being fair given your libertarian/conservative principles. Don't you? Don't view yourself as a victim of the media.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dM_enWzoghoC&pg=PA394&lpg=PA394&dq=nixonland+patrick+daniel+moynihan&source=bl&ots=6eEnqasJEs&sig=iMNFuOFy0wHW2EAw20wEA_1jSvc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq8Yn-4pzSAhVU9mMKHRisAW4Q6AEINTAE#v=onepage&q=nixonland%20patrick%20daniel%20moynihan&f=false

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Democratic Jon said...

Fred, I just lost a post, hopefully it will show up. In case it doesn't I just wanted to refer you to how I heard about this notorious report.

Google "Nixonland moynihan". It's page 394 - 396 of the google book text that comes up. I recommend highly this book if you have some down time while recuperating. Get well soon.

I think any nostalgia for Moynihan's report is anachronistic and, well, you know, potentially indicative of an implicit bias of yours. Maybe it's explicit, but that isn't something that can be typed-out publicly without social repercussions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home