Saturday, November 12, 2005

What's Kerrigan Up to?

So what's Eureka City Coucil Dude, Chris Kerrigan up to? He's become the point man for some anti- Wal Mart movie that's showing in Eureka. To my eyes, this makes him more of a left wing activist than simply a local pol who leans to the left. Only time will tell if this is some effort to increase his presence in the community in preparation for a run for higher office. He's told me he isn't interested in higher office and just wants to finish a second term on the city council. I won't hold him to that because one should never say never.
But, they say most politicians gain office by being seen as more of the moderate types, so if Kerrigan is actually working towards higher office by increasing his activism and presence with the Left, his strategy may backfire. Then again, this is the state where Senator's Boxer and Feinstein repeatedly win office so anything's possible.

Along that same line, lefty Supervisor Bonnie Neely has declared her intent to run again for the Board of Supervisors, which comes as no surprise. Also, as no surprise, Chris Kerrigan has already said he'll endorse Neely. Is it just me or does it seem like the Left has gotten real active up here the last few years?
**********
I found yet another one of those online political quizzes. This one was a bit hard for me to take as the possible answers are some form of agreement or disagreement. Not sure or other aren't given as options. Give it a try.

I ended up scoring in the Libertarian sector but about two blocks down and to the right of center. Thanks to the San Francisco Liberal blog for the heads up on this one.

5 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean the XXXXXXXXXXtreme left. It's odd that I can go into the Bay Area and it's more right wing then up here. I would have to say the left has been getting more left since the early '90s up here. Remember when EarthFirst! used to hate the media calling people "media whores" now that's ALL they have, everybody is a media whore up here now it seems. I would have to say that Humboldt County isn't going to be much more then a theme park in the next 25 years or so. But that's OK, I plan on leaving, it's time that I get a real job that pays me real money, instead of the real job I have now that pays me a laughing wage.

Humboldt County, Pretty to look at, Shitty to live in.

 
At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since when is Neely left? she supports CAMP!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can support CAMP and be a left winger too. Only in Humboldt County is anti-pot = far right winger.

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I think, more than anything else, Neely supports CAMP just for the money. She's always supported taking that annual grant from the feds for CAMP funding. What is it, some hundreds of thousands of dollars?

When's the next time that comes up as an issue for the Board of Supervisors? What I'm wondering, is how that grant will fare next time around?

The County is supposedly having fiscal problems (when hasn't the County had fiscal problems of one sort or another?). So much so that even libertarian leaning Supervisor Roger Rodoni endorsed that proposed increase in the local sales tax, Measure L. Rodoni always voted against taking the CAMP money in the past, along with John Wooley(?). I really curious if those two will vote to accept the money next time around. They can always divert the money to other purposes, which I suspect they do already, at least to some extent.

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Fred, that on April 5th, 1968, Humboldt County didn't have a fiscal problem, but don't quote me on that. So who got a pay hike and now what are they making anyway? What is the local breakdown of money paid to people around here anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home