Thursday, May 25, 2006

League of Women Voters

I see the League of Women Voters are back in the news today. This time in the form of a letter to the editor of the Eureka Reporter in support of Prop. 81- that library bond inititative on the June ballot- by League President, Mona Daly. She had the same letter published as a My Word piece today in the Times- Standard.

I believe I've said before that I have a love/ hate relationship with the League of Women Voters. I certainly appreciate their effort in providing candidate forums and issue debates each election season, although why they chose not to sponsor a debate on Measure T is rather suspicious.

We're pretty fortunate with the Humboldt League as their candidate forums nearly always include all candidates in a given race. I've been told that, in some locales, the LOWV accepts the statist role and just invites the two candidates from the major parties to debates, at least in partisan races.

The LOWV claims to be non- partisan, and I suppose that's true. They are, however, clearly left leaning, at least as far as their membership goes. Whenever you see their position on issues, seems to me, it's always aligned with the Left, as we see with their support of Prop 81. I suspect they'll also be in favor of Prop 82, as well as Measure T.

The HOPE Coalition should have their list of organizational issue endorsements out soon. I don't see it on their web page yet. That's the list of all the local political type orgs and their positions on upcoming ballot inititiatives they publish each election season. When it comes out, we should see if I'm right about the LOWV position on this June's inititiatives.

Oh, and in case any of you weren't sure how the Humboldt Libertarians stood on the upcoming intitiatives, I told Chuck Harvey, who gathers the info for HOPE, our position was NO, NO and NO on Props 81, 82 and Measure T.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home