No Kids, No Marriage?
Sound good to you? I think it would be fun to see how an initiative like this would do in California.
Seems the Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance, not a right winger organization as one would assume, is trying to get an initiative on the ballot up there that would do the following:
- add the phrase, “who are capable of having children with one another” to the legal definition of marriage;
- require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
- require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as “unrecognized;”
- establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
- make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.
I love their strategy- absurdity to illustrate absurdity- and I'm all for it. Enough said. Kudos to Radley Balko, who led me to this guy, for the heads up on the story.