Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Where's The Sun?

I could of sworn the guy on KMUD radio yesterday said sunrise was around 6:30am today. The sun is nowhere to be seen as I write this.

I guess I must be remembering wrong? Either that, or he got his info from some source that didn't take Daylight Savings Time into consideration. That's hard to imagine.

As an aside, I was kind of surprised to hear an announcer on KMUD earlier in the day while he gave the weather forecast. He was going over the frost warning and ended it with something like this: "...until 10am PDT...hmmm...I have no idea what PDT means, do you?". The girl in the studio responds that she doesn't, either.

How can anyone not know that PDT stands for Pacific Daylight Time?

But there was one thing about that I didn't know: PDT is only used during Daylight Savings Time. The rest of the year it's referred to as Pacific Time, or Pacific Standard Time according to Wikipedia. I guess I never knew that because I hadn't paid much attention to the term before.



2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger AJ said...

Pacific Time is the generic way of referring to our time zone regardless of whether we're in standard or daylight savings time.

A purist might disagree, but the masses have spoken. I spend my time on more worthy causes, such as slapping people when they say "since" when they really mean "because."

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How can anyone not know that PDT stands for Pacific Daylight Time?"

It's something they do to the kids nowadays, Fred. They all seem to come out of school with diplomas and degrees but without any knowledge. Last night, one of them said Columbus came to America in 1942. But then she realized that wasn't right, so she corrected herself. She had meant to say 1842!!!

God help America!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home