Thursday, October 01, 2009

USPS Charging For Address Changes Now

Online, anyway.

Just got through the process of changing a mailing address for a friend of the wifey. The friend is a 98 year old lady that was moved into a care home. So, Connie goes to the post office and was given a card by someone there that had instructions to change mailing addresses online.

I'm guessing if they still offer the old change of address cards they're still "free", but the online address change ends up costing you a dollar. They use the debit card info to make sure it's a legitimate name change and not someone playing a nasty prank on somebody else.

I will say it worked fine enough, except their change of address page was down every time we tried it yesterday. I don't know that I blame them for charging a dollar, either, although it does seem odd that this supposedly more efficient way of changing addresses costs you more money than the old way.

It did seem a bit shameless when I got to the end of the process and they offered me a list of commercial e- mail lists to sign up for- shades of Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. What was that all about?

4 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger lisa_drown said...

That's crazy! Soon, people will be charging for the air we breath.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

California's DMV tried the same thing for awhile -- they charged extra for the "privilege" of renewing online.

The system worked great, still does. I told them I thought the system was very well done AND I would not use it in future if they kept the fees.

They removed them... hooray! I doubt if it was because of my lonely li'l feedback but if they received a crapload of responses like mine, who knows?

And of course that silly old "innocent until proven guilty" thing doesn't seem to count for much these days. Sure, it's a civil thing. Right.

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just realized I was confusing (conflating?) two posts, read the one about EPD charging for drunk driving offense just prior to this one. My "innocent until proven guilty" statement didn't make a lot of sense for the USPS post, unfortunately.

Rebooting ...

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Illinois it costs $20!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home