Saturday, November 14, 2009

Jerry Brown: Libertarian?

I read a news article- or was it a commentary?- a few days ago where the writer described past California Governor and current gubernatorial hopeful, Jerry Brown, as being libertarian oriented. The reason being that Brown has been saying he's not in favor of a bunch of new rules and regulations and that California might well already be over- regulated.

That, of course, piqued my curiosity so I looked a little further into the guy's history. After all, it was over 30 years ago when he was elected governor and I couldn't remember much about him.
Seems to me I should of hated him, but why?

Found this article published earlier this month that sheds some light on Brown's past. I'll have to say that after reading it I can't help but kind of like the guy if for no other reason than he seems to bounce around a bit politically and doesn't seem to fit into either the Right or Left Wing mold.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Woo-hoo, Fred? Does this mean you like Jerry? I like Jerry.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Like I said, I can't help but like the guy. Looks to me we have four decent candidates for governor at this point. No flakes, like Feinstein or Newsom, either. At least not yet.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

Pretty much the only thing to hold against Jerry Brown is his holding back monies while leaving taxes untouched as governor. That is... creating a surplus of government money. I suppose in 2009 California, that doesn't seem so terrible. He also is a big proponent of lowering tuition at public colleges, which I disagree with.

Everybody with sense loved him as mayor of Oakland. He bought that empty warehouse and turned it into a crash pad for him and his buds. He helped to successfully revitalize Jack London Square. Northwest Oakland hasn't looked this good in years. Of course, his successor, Dellums, hasn't done so hot.

Jerry Brown favors a flat tax because he thinks that most little people gets screwed by the complexity of the tax system. I have to agree with him. While most liberals tout progressive taxation as a way to make the rich pay their fair share, this system only benefits those just rich enough to hire a professional to get them out of taxes but not rich enough to have to pay very much.

Brown has always been pragmatic. He supports mass transportation. He is against perks and high salaries for politicians. The one problem with him is he has always been too left for for the right and too right for the left... on different issues... which confuses the hell out of people.

But Brown vs. Schwarzenegger? I'd take Brown 99/100. I'd still take Arnold over Grey Davis.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"The one problem with him is he has always been too left for for the right and too right for the left... on different issues... which confuses the hell out of people..

Kind of like some libertarians I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home