Saturday, May 22, 2010

Early Morning Excitement

I got to see my first ever felony car stop this morning. Well...kind of.

We're in bed about 1:30'ish. I heard what seemed to be a police car siren start up maybe two blocks north of our house on E street. The siren stopped at what seemed to be almost in front of our house. About that time I hear another siren start and stop in the same general area.

Then I hear something I haven't heard in person since I was in the Police Academy in '84: "DO NOT MOVE!...". That was the only command I could make out but there was some other loud shouting going on. It sounds like a guns drawn, felony car stop. I get up and look out the front window.

There's an EPD car stopped on the other side of the street, blocking the alley next to the boarding house. It has its spotlight trained on a red car stopped in front of it. The red car, unless I'm mistaken, was the car of the manager of the boarding house. He's supposedly spent some time in prison.

The other EPD car is stopped just behind and to the left of the first one. I can't really see much behind the cars lights because of the darkness, but I hear the same cop telling the person(s) in the car to not move and keep her hands in view, or some such. I can't really make out anyone in the car, at first, but then notice at least one girl in the front passenger seat. She looks like the boarding house manager's girl friend.

Within a minute or two there's probably 6 or 8, heck maybe even more cop cars all over the place. One even pulls in from Trinity Street on the side of our house and stops on E Street next to Connie's car. By this time I can see a number of cops with guns drawn, pointing them at the red car. Must have been over 10 cops out there.

After commanding the girl to open the passenger car door what seemed to be a number of times, somehow she finally ends up standing in the street (missed it as I switched windows for a better view). They handcuff her and lead her back to a patrol car.

Didn't see her boyfriend, the ex- con boarding house manager, so don't know how much he was involved, or not. I'm pretty sure that was their car, though.

I go back to bed but couldn't sleep. After a while I hear something that sounds like a big truck driving up and see flashing lights. I go take a look. It's a tow truck taking away the suspect vehicle and there's still at least one cop car parked behind it.

Wonder what all that was about?

10 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a slow night, I have no trouble believing a bunch of cops responded because they had nothing else going on and they wanted some of the action (adrenaline). Watch for the same thing with fire trucks when there's a car accident located between two different stations. Your tax dollars at work.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarcastic comments about tax dollars don't cut it, baby!

I'm glad to see dangerous felons being controlled by the police instead of seeing ordinary citizens controlled by the felons.

This incident was reported on the Channel 3 news recently, Fred, so you might be able to round out your understanding of the event by contacting "the Spirit of the North Coast" online or by phone.

Thanks for sharing your news with us!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Good idea. I hadn't thought of the TV news. I'll take a look.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Didn't see anything about it on the KIEM TV web site.

 
At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 12:12, learn the difference between sarcasm and reality.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, I couldn't find the story on KIEM-TV, either!

News editor Leslie Buchanan (443-3933) may be able and willing to send you a DVD of the news program you want. I know they used to keep the masters forever. You might want to give a call on Monday.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Nothing in today's Times- Standard about it, either.

Update: The guys whose car I thought it was is back at that house again, with his girlfriend and kid. They're driving a different car now, though.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's no big deal . It's just another Felon from one of the half way houses LaVallee opened in town for " troubled teens " as he calls them .

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget. LaVallee refused to pander to the "Hate EPD First" crowd few years ago. You're oversimplifying.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Try , Peter .
A.K.A. Anonymous LaVallee ( the Michigander ).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home