Sunday, April 29, 2012

The George Zimmerman Story

Here's a story the Reuter's folks put together that tells more than just a bit about George Zimmerman, the guy involved in the shooting of Trayvon Martin. I agree with Radley Balko that it's long past time the story should have been told.

I'd like to say we should be appalled at the way media manipulated this story, but it's probably more the rule than the exception. It was surprising to me that the news editor who (deliberately, in my opinion) edited a prior 911 call by Zimmerman got fired. That editing making it look like Zimmerman was the one that brought up a suspicious person's race first.

There's probably more fire with that smoke. I was listening to National Public Radio last night. I forget the show but they were interviewing some guy about the Zimmerman case. He pointed out the editing I mention above, then mentioned something about the 911 call the night of the killing. He said, If I recall correctly, that when the dispatcher suggested Zimmerman not pursue Martin, Zimmerman replied, "OK".

I believe that's the first time I heard that. Unless I missed it, most news reports have been saying he ignored the dispatcher and continued following Martin. Even the Reuters story I linked to above suggests Zimmerman ignored the dispatchers. I don't recall hearing anywhere that he replied "Ok", until today. Doing a quick net search I found at least a couple other references to Zimmerman saying "Ok".

I might be going out on a limb here, but seems to me omissions like that- if deliberate- should be considered criminal.

Lastly, I found once again a blurb about there being a witness that claims he saw Zimmerman on the ground with Martin on top of him. I've heard that at least three times but can't pin down an official source. Could be a hoax, but I wonder if that's true?

We'll have to wait and see what turns up in the trial. Until then, the lesson to be learned is don't go flying off the handle over things you read in the news.

Addendum: One of the best comments I've ever read on any blog, but this one happens to be from Radley Balko's blog and about the Zimmerman case.

6 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every airing of the tape (TV and radio) I've heard has included the "OK." No conspiracy Fred.

I found nothing in the Reuters article that changes my opinion that the guy should spend life in jail.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, first I've heard of it. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

And I'm guessing you'll think I'm a bigot for posting that Reuters article? There was a guy on Balko's blog that accused him of it for posting it.

I'd suggest you're a bigot if you've already made up your mind on such scant evidence. Hopefully, you'll never sit on a jury.

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Fred, I don't think you're a bigot. I think you have a very unkeen ability to read news and interpret it, which is why things like the "OK" slipped your senses until you've heard it for the umpteenth time.

Scant evidence? Perhaps you should listen to the full tape for the first time. I'm confident at this point you haven't heard it if you've only just now heard the "OK." Just read what you're saying. Really read it. You'll shock yourself. The degree to which you are in touch with reality is in question. It's depressing to read your perception of reality because it's just so very out-of-touch. I'm glad you finally heard the "OK." I hope you'll hear the rest of the recording.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Fred I have to agree with Anonymous about the "OK" I've heard that since the begining.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Sorry Fred I have to agree with Anonymous about the "OK" I've heard that since the begining.

That's fine. I guess I missed it.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Perhaps you should listen to the full tape for the first time.

Perhaps you could tell me what you've seen or heard that points toward criminal culpability on Zimmerman's behalf? I'll admit when I first heard of this I thought he might be culpable in some way or another.

Now I'm leaning towards maybe not culpable at all. I'm not alone, either. Radley Balko made a post shortly after Zimmerman was charged that pointed out a number of legal minds and bloggers, including Alan Dershowitz, who felt the affidavit was bs with only presumptions and assumptions being made- no, or very little, real evidence to warrant the charges.

I believe Dershowitz said earlier the judge would likely toss the case because of that affidavit. Obviously he was wrong on that, but I personally understand both the judge and prosecutor making their decisions for political reasons.

We'll see what evidence turns up in court.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home