Thursday, July 25, 2013

Humboldt's World Class Port In Doubt

The North Coast Journal has a summary of a report on the feasibility of the east- west rail line. Looks like my earlier observations were right. We'd have to have more freight coming through Humboldt Bay than some larger ports to make the rail line cost effective and it would be problematic for the bay to accept that sort of traffic.

Then again, I've gotten the impression the writer, Ryan Burns, isn't exactly friendly to commerce. Maybe he's reading the report differently than some of the rest of us would?

That doesn't really matter. What wasn't mentioned was the difficulty of even starting any project of that magnitude in this state because of our regulatory and anti- business climate.

Even if the numbers penciled out in regards traffic through the bay vs. costs, I still couldn't see something like the east- west rail line happening if only because this is California- The State of NO.

4 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Matt said...

I'm not personally anti-rail or "anti-commerce", or opposed to improving our local economy.

I am however, opposed to stupidity, which this proposed plan qualifies with a capital S... And that was painfully obvious even before the results of this report.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'd be willing to be, though, that you support the High Speed Rail project which will cost hundreds times more than the east- west rail proposal and not even fill any pressing need.

I'm skeptical of the prospects for an east- west rail myself, but I appreciate the efforts of those that want to bring commerce to the area.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That's "willing to beT..."

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Matt said...

re: High-speed rail project, I actually (truthfully) don't know much about it - haven't followed it at all. Where is it going to be? Obviously not to Humboldt...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home