Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I Hate Neckties

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this piece in The Telegraph over why neckties should be worn at work. Why would anyone advocate in favor of wearing neckties? As much as I dislike Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, he's a no tie guy that wears t- shirts and hoodies to even more formal events. I'll give him credit for that.

I was thinking about ties years ago and realized there probably is some....not sure what to call it...value to them. They give at least some people an air of respectability and competence. Back when I had a retirement account, the guy who managed it at Dean Witter was always dressed in a suit and tie. I liked and respected him, but had to admit I might not have as much respect if he wore sweat pants and a t- shirt when he saw me as I nearly always do. The tie helped him seem professional and worth listening to. 

I won't go so far with everyone else, though, and still think ties are crap for most of us. One of the few nice things to look forward to in the future might be the decline in people that feel the need to wear a necktie.

3 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the old west, cattle rustlers hated neckties too, I'd think.

So, would you prefer your congress people to come to work in jeans and sweats?

How about going to a funeral? (Though most community memorial services round these parts are fairly informal.)

What about bow ties?

I prefer to lounge around in my ascot and silk smoking jacket.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in favor of neck-ties. They look nice, make one feel and look more official, and am a fan of all the different styles, patterns, textures, and shapes they come in.
I'm so waiting for that double-knot one from back to the future to actually make an appearance in real life. The fun pictures that could be used on such double ties makes me smile.
I am also a fan of ditching the tie later in the day, or if you happen to be working late night/graveyard shift. Neck ties shouldn't be required for staff when most others are in PJ's; its just silly.
An odd example, from olden-times/movies: Those garbage men who wore ties. I bet I'd be a lot less upset with their noise at 6AM-ish, waking me up early, than I am with the shlubby looking ones I usually see. However, after 10 AM, the ones wearing ties would just seem wrong.
And as odd as this sounds, I really wish cab drivers would wear ties.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"An odd example, from olden-times/movies: Those garbage men who wore ties."

I've always been surprised in pictures of the old west how many people wore ties of some kind out on the frontier.

I didn't think of it at the time, but it's weird thinking back to old TV shows like Leave It To Beaver where it seemed the men always wore ties.

There's an older guy I see walking his dog on D street regularly. He must not have any clothes but business attire. White dress shirt, dark pants and dress shoes, or so it appears from a distance. I'm surprised he doesn't wear a tie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home