Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Big Issue

Got a damned leak in my tire yesterday. The last thing I needed since I had to hurry and get my work done. Turned out to be a short fat screw that was stuck in my tire.

I wasn't sure how badly it was leaking as the tire looked low when I went out to go to work, but not that low and I could still drive on it. I figured the tire must have been leaking since I parked it the day before so, maybe if I put some air in it, I could get some of my work done and fix the tire later.

Driving around the corner of my house I the truck was pulling to the right so I knew the pressure was pretty low. I headed to the Patriot gas station in Henderson Center for some air.

Only 10 pounds pressure in the tire so it was pretty low. Filled it up a bit past the 40 pounds it usually takes and headed to Cutten, then Myrtletown. Tire was looking a little low by then, or was it my imagination? As I headed back towards Henderson Center for more air I could feel it starting to pull to the right. It was getting low again.

I needed to do something so I could finish my work and I didn't want to go all the way to Les Schwab to get it fixed. They patch tires for free but it can take a while before they can get to you. So, I'd heard the guy at the Patriot Station fixed flats. I'd not only heard it, I'd seen him fixing tires for people before.

I headed back to the Patriot station and checked the tire pressure. Back down to 10 pounds again. Yep, I have to do something. I asked the attendant about fixing the tire. He said they did, indeed, patch tires and it would cost $10.00. Sounded good to me. Better than spending an hour or more at Les Schwab.

I parked my truck in front of the garage and the boss guy came over and had the tire patched inside half an hour. Away I went and was able to get all my work done. Ten dollars well spent.

I'll likely be going back there again next time I get a flat. It's on the corner of Harris and E Streets, across from Rite- Aid.

I'm told he also replaces vehicle lights for around $5.00.

2 Comments:

At 7:11 AM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Tubeless tires can be plugged in a couple of minutes with a simple tool available at NAPA for less than the ten bucks you paid. You simply remove the nail or screw that punctured the tire and use the tool to poke a sticky plug in the hole.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've seen those before, but didn't know if they worked all that well so haven't bought one. If I would of had one, I might well of tried it.

I think I'll buy one for next time this happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home