Thursday, December 27, 2012

A Mail Order Mattress

I hesitate writing about buying a mattress online but I didn't feel we had much choice. I'd looked at some local ads recently and it seemed as if even a run- of- the- mill basic mattress started at around $500.00, or more. No way we could afford that and I figured I'd end up dying on the mattress we've been using for over ten years.

Turned out the wife was thinking the same thing. Her parents bought a mattress via Costco that cost around $400.00. She tried it, liked it and wanted to get one. For whatever reason we didn't get one of those, but I could see Connie had her heart set on a new mattress so we looked online for something along the line of what her parents had bought.

We ended up finding this one fairly quick. One of those memory foam types that only cost around $274.00 delivered(?). I was leery at buying something we couldn't try out first, but Connie seemed to have her heart set on it so I filled out the online order form. There; SOLD on December 17. Now we'll just have to see if it was worth the money. I'm guessing for that price it might well be junk, or at least not last very long.

Got an e-mail right away saying it should arrive around January 2, which was fine with us. I received another e-mail with a tracking number for UPS the next day. I didn't bother checking the tracking number until the morning of the 24th and it said the mattress was scheduled for delivery that day!That was fast!

The UPS delivery guy showed up around 4pm in the afternoon. Having read reviews on the mattress, I was expecting a medium sized box, but the guy showed up with a large roll that he carried over his shoulder. I had him set it down at the bottom of the driveway figuring I could just pick it up and take it into the house.

Nope. Age takes its toll and I couldn't lift it, at least without likely hurting myself. I don't know that it was so much the weight as its bulk. It was the length of a mattress and maybe two feet or more in diameter. I couldn't get a good grip on it so I brought out my Harbor Freight Tools hand truck, put it on that and rolled it up to the front door.

I didn't expect it to be packed like that. It was in a nice nylon bag. Untying the knot at the top took longer than you'd expect. Finally we realized we should just cut it as I couldn't think of anything we could use a bag that large for, yet Connie could still cut up and use the nylon.

We lay the bundle at the foot of our bed for the night to be deal with next morning.

Next morning we still had a plastic wrap to deal with and some kind of a nylon/burlap type layer. It took some expert slicing on Connie's part to remove the plastic cover without cutting the mattress. Once we got all that stuff off from around it, the mattress popped open and started expanding to its normal size. We laid it on top of the bed so it could expand naturally. Amazing they could roll something that big into a bundle that size.

Online instructions advised taking the plastic cover off and letting it set for 72 hours if for no other reason than letting the odors dissipate. We didn't notice it at first but, after reading mention of it in online reviews, Connie could. She said it smelled as if someone had been painting, but didn't find it as offensive as some reviewers did.

I was of the mind to just lay it on its side in the bedroom for a couple days, per instructions, but Connie seemed to have her heart set on sleeping on a new mattress so later in the day we dragged the old mattress out to the front porch where it still sits.

We let the mattress sit on the bed until just about dark and then Connie put on the sheets and covers. I didn't really like the idea of sleeping on something with odors of God knows what chemical, but Connie said she couldn't smell it after she put all the sheets on.

Yes, it was a nice mattress to sleep on these last two nights. I don't know that I felt all that much better the next morning as some reviewers have wrote, but I did notice I didn't toss and turn so much as I did on the old mattress. When Connie woke up the next morning she said it felt so good she didn't want to get out of bed, so it works for her.

We'll see how long it lasts. I'll be happy if it lasts a couple years at that price. Ecstatic if it lasts longer. I suppose I should write my own review for the web site, too. I'll give it five stars, so far.

Now the issue is getting rid of the old mattress. I've been trying to call City Garbage to set up an appointment for one of my two free bulk item pickups we get each year but nobody answers the phone number listed on their web site. What's with that?  

Update: They answered the phone this morning and pick up is set for January 2.

11 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memory foam feels great, but left me with aches and pains. I suspect I don't turn over as much in my sleep, staying in one position too long. That's just a guess for a mattress that, on its surface, seems to feel great. I felt like crap every morning.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that your discarding of your old mattress responsibly. I would have expected you to be a dump and run type of guy.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Feels fine to me. There was a guy in the reviews who wrote all his aches and pains were gone after sleeping on this mattress. He wrote that he thought all his aches were due to old age until he woke up after his first night on this one.

I wish I was so lucky and was hoping for the same sort of results. I don't feel all that much better than I did sleeping on the old mattress, although I think I sleep sounder.

Years ago, I believe it was before I bought the mattress we're getting rid of, I used to have chronic lower back pain. I finally told myself I'd had enough and bought the mattress we have on our front porch now for around $300.00, maybe a bit more, from that Delta place down on 4th Street in Eureka.

I woke up next morning and really did feel much better with no back pain at all. I think that was just a regular mattress, too, not memory foam.

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its too bad that on Lost Coast Outpost a local blog site, you have to talk about buying a mattress online...Probily from China..Lots of local stores would work with you for financing and such..

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Glad to hear that your discarding of your old mattress responsibly.

Yeah. I was thinking of just waiting until dark, dragging it over the the neighbor's house behind us and dumping on their front lawn. But, since City Garbage has the free bulk item pick up, I figured what the heck. Only have to drag it half as far to have City Garbage pick it up.

BTW, called that City Garbage number about an hour ago and someone answered. They'll pick it up January 2. How it works is you just put it out where you normally place your trash cans and they come get it. You'll see the truck around town on occasion full of stuff they picked up. A flatbed truck with City Garbage logo on the door.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Its too bad that on Lost Coast Outpost a local blog site, you have to talk about buying a mattress online...

Well, I don't post to LCO. He has it set up so new posts here are posted (announced, actually) there.

Regardless, that's why I said I was hesitant to write about buying something like that online as opposed to local. At the same time, the poorer among us need to know of opportunities that can save them money and make their lives better.

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, a common estimate is that 30% of online reviews are fake.

When I assess a product, I read the 1 star reviews first.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yes, I'm sure some are fake. I generally look at them as a whole. I believe this one only had one "one star" rating. My experience so far echoes most of those I've read.

I am skeptical that a $274.00 mattress warrants five stars, but I just wrote a review of it and gave it five. That's just based on my experience, so far, and I specified that in my review.

It takes some days for reviews to show up, so they told me. You'll have to wait and see what my hard- hitting review says, but it's pretty much along the line of what I've already written here.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger julie.strub said...

"Yeah. I was thinking of just waiting until dark, dragging it over the the neighbor's house behind us and dumping on their front lawn. But, since City Garbage has the free bulk item pick up, I figured what the heck. Only have to drag it half as far to have City Garbage pick it up."

Ha! I know which neighbors you mean (us!), and all I have to say is.. it's a good thing we have stairs up to our grass!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The stairs wouldn't have been much of a problem. The distance would have been twice as long, though.

After thinking about it, I realized there would have been another problem: You'd probably have just left the mattress laying in your front yard and dirtied up the neighborhood.

Hey! I would have done my part and removed the mattress from my house and yard, but you'd have just let it sit there in yours. No shame on your part, which was the biggest reason I figured I better let City Garbage haul it off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home