Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Libertarians Should Join GOP?

It's an age old debate among libertarians whether efforts would be better spent working for change within the Republican Party as opposed to going it on our own. That debate has started up again in some circles with at least two recent articles on the question.

I'll agree, as I have here before, that libertarians might be more compatible with Republicans on some issues. If nothing else, most Republicans at least give lip service to wanting less government. I just can't come up with many examples where a strong majority of Republicans have supported libertarian issues.

I suppose tax cuts could be one. Maybe opposition to more gun control measures another. But even support on those issues can be tepid depending on the situation. Am I missing something?

As for me, I'm more that willing to work with anybody and any party in support of libertarian issues. I haven't found myself exclusively with the Republicans in that regard so why would I want to switch to the GOP?

8 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says,

No merging necessary. After all these years, and into the future, Libertarians STILL won't get anywhere by trying to "negotiate" with the two party system. Go it alone and let the sheeple people learn how to follow. - HOJ

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libertarians are already Republicans, some of them just don't it. Especially the dumber ones. If Fred doesn't 'get it' he should simply ask himself: What is the party affliation of my heros, Ron and Rand Paul?

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

And we've seen how Ron Paul has been treated by the Republican mainstream. Rand might end up taking a licking, too, after his filibuster over this drone thing.

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says,

The 12+ hour filibuster where Newt Gingrich was praising Rand Paul and saying the filibuster was a historic event.

Ron Paul ran as a Republican because he felt it was his best chance to get votes, basically "caving-in" to the Two Party machine.

The two things HOJ disagreed with Ron Paul on was becoming a republican party candidate and being anti-choice on abortion issues.

Money envy also affects Libertarians. If the 3rd parties simply did not cave-in for the money, they'd probably do much better. - HOJ

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no left or right they're both bought and paid for by the same corporations when we go to the polling booths in November we get a choice between Coke or Pepsi no 7 up no squirt no root beer simply Coke and Pepsi that's not much of a choice the only way this will changes is to get a third or fourth party candidate in there that will not be bought out or of course another civil war

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger beachcomber said...

Interesting question, Fred. Friends are surprised to find out I used to be a registered Republican. WAY back when...twenty or even thirty years ago...I believed in their platform. Then came Newt Gingrich and people like him and I couldn't bear to be identified with the R-word. I was told my leanings are Libertarian and mostly they are except for a few issues that stop me dead in my tracks. So, for now, I'm (small i) independent, decline-to-state....whatever. I vote each office independently, regardless of party affiliation. Truthfully, though, until the big-2 are cut down to size, voting for a third- or fourth-party candidate really feels like throwing a vote away and that sucks.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'd suggest voting for Reps and Dems is throwing your vote away much of the time.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Voting for a demacript or rebloodlican is the waist of your vote intell we get both out of office nothing will change except the banks will get richer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home