Monday, June 20, 2005

HELP or Healthy Humboldt?

One of these days I'll have to really take a look at these county development plans, other than just browsing thru the articles in the newspaper. I'll be the first to admit that planning and development issues bore me. Don't know why.

I need to take a closer look, though, because it is an important issue. Also a complex issue, from my type of Libertarian view:

The two most discussed plans and/ or organizations are HELP, an acronym for something which I can't remember off the top of my head, and Healthy Humboldt. HELP is the one that seems to be backed by the real estate/ developer crowd and Healthy Humboldt is the one the Left/ Progressives are pushing. Healthy Humboldt seems to be much less aggressive in converting open land into housing or industrial development than the plan HELP is proposing.

I suppose I'll end up somewhat in the middle on both these plans. I'll stick my neck out, though, and say I tend to lean toward Healthy Humboldt because I don't want this county to become an endless expanse of tract housing. But, I'm sure each side is overexaggerating the potential negative effects of each other's plans.

There is something to be said for open space, though. Even such a thing as an empty lot in the center of town is a good thing to have. Burns me up every time I see someone cram another house in a small lot just cause someone can't stand to see an empty space. When we bought our house, my father in law mentioned our yard was big enough we could subdivide it and build a house in one of the lots. Why the hell would I want to do that? Of course, he's a retired construction contractor and I guess he's got that development thing ingrained in him. Nope, I like having some space between me and my neighbors. I think most people do, too.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a vacation to Monterey. It was a complete disappointment. The mainstream idea of "natural environment" is pathetic with housing and commercial development right up against anything and everything you would want to visit as a tourist. Humboldt County is sitting on an undeveloped GOLD MINE akin to Yosemite, but without the smoke and crowds. By "undeveloped" I mean not marketed to its fullest potential and not meeting some niche tourism needs. It would be an utter shame to push a pro-development plan when our housing needs can be satisfied by infill.

Even Holier Than Thou Arcata eschews infill, refusing to allow an "historic" house to be relocated so that an apartment complex can be built. Umm, so, they would prefer the apartment complex to be built on precious open space?

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Vache Folle said...

I'm pretty conflicted myself about development. I want to maintain the rural nature of my road, but I respect the property rights of my neighbors.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

There's no easy answer, from a libertarian's point of view. Maybe that's why I generally shy away from planning and zoning issues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home