Wednesday, October 19, 2005

HSU Pres Wants Arcata Takeover?

I referred to this earlier on, but I'll have to say I have a less than favorable opinion of HSU President, Rollin Richmond. Related to the discussion Richmond is having with Arcata over law enforcement jurisdiction is Rollin's dislike of Arcata's Medical Marijuana Policy. I read a more detailed story in last week's Advocate newspaper on the subject, which doesn't publish its stories online (at least last I looked). I see Charles Douglas' Humboldt Sentinel has run a story on the issue but, as with many of the links on his page, the link to the story on Rollins is dead.

Anyway, Rollins is upset with Arcata's marijuana policies and feels that they're affecting enrollment to HSU as he feels students are avoiding enrolling at the University because of its reputation as a drug haven. I can sympathize with that but, as I mentioned earlier, seems to me a lot of the problems on the Plaza grew, at least in part, because of the presence of HSU, not the other way around. HSU is a liberal "college town" and certain types of people are attracted to college towns.

What gets me is the attitude I perceive coming from Richmond. Maybe I'm just getting the wrong impression but it seems to me he is of the mind that Arcata owes much of its economy and whatever other values Arcata has to HSU and, that being the case, Arcata should fall in line with the wishes of the university on matters of crime and everything else.

HSU certainly is a major, if not the major, economic player in Arcata. That doesn't mean the City should run lock step behind HSU. A lot of bad things came to Arcata along with HSU as well as some good. President Rollins should keep that in mind. I don't know that Arcata really owes him or HSU all that much, if anything.

5 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on some parts Fred, but HSU has been around for a long time, but these problems on the other hand, have not. I think most of it started going to shit in Arcata in the 90's and has gone downhill quickly in the last 15 years. Most of the City Council seems set on proving that they are much more of a left wing hippie then the last person they replaced. As the OLD EarthFirst! wankers used to call 'em, they became MediaWhores. Now we are taking in troublemakers and bums from out of the area, I talked to one bastard who works with these people and said that there are so many with out of state ID's you wouldn't believe it. Another caseworker heard from her sister on the East Coast that "Arcata was the place to be for free food and drugs" her sister overheard two bums talking about going out to hang out on the plaza in Arcata.

Arcata has lit the beacon lights, and the bugs are coming in.

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw two articles on richmond in the sentinel. where were you looking?

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yes, HSU's been there a long time and it does seem like the problems are relatively recent. But, I suspect it takes a while for changes to take place in a community after a university moves in.

As far as the article on Richmond, it was the link right at the top of the home page of the Humboldt Sentinel. Link's still dead, at least when I try it.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Does Rollins has any research to back up his claim that medical marijauna is contributing to declining enrollment at HSU? Are students, or more likely their parents, really deciding not to attend HSU because of pot smoking homeless people?

Anon, I've heard those claims too, and don't doubt them. What I wonder is how many other towns with mild weather can make the same claims? Because mild weather is definitely one reason the homeless gather here.

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, the weather is alot more mild in Sunnyvale/Palo Alto then here. Hell, it was downright nice just a little bit ago and also has a much better system of getting around. I think it must be the free food and the idea that they can act how they please and people will take care of them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home