Thursday, January 26, 2006

Instant Runoff Voting On The Table Again

Sort of old news but I just received an e-mail from the new group in the county pushing for Instant Runoff Voting, the Humboldt Voter's Association. I believe this is some splinter group formed from Dan Berman's, Voter Confindence Resolution group. I'm not sure if these two groups are even talking to each other. The HVA seems to still be speaking with Humboldt Elections Manager, Lindsay McWilliams, but I'm under the impression Berman and McWilliams aren't on pleasant terms with each other.

One of the first posts I made to this blog was on the issue of Instant Runoff Voting, which I've gone on record as supporting, for the most part. The biggest problem I have with it is it will likely give the Left and Right sides in an election an even bigger majority in areas where the Left or Right have a great numerical advantage to begin with, but, that would be a problem regardless. It still seems better than the winner take all method where a candidate can win with less than even half the votes cast.

We'll keep an eye on HVA and see how they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home