Sunday, January 22, 2006

Following The Rats

The Riverside Press- Enterprise ran a few stories today, like this one, about people leaving California for greener pastures. This one here talks a little more about the overall numbers, demographics and reasons people are leaving. There's links to a couple of other stories down at the end of each story.

I think they're actually being a bit kind to California by focusing on housing costs as the main reason people leave the state. I'd love to get out of California myself, but it isn't because of housing costs. Heck, I'm fairly comfortable with my monthly morgage payment of only $699. I think the state is screwed up politically, and that it's only going to get worse. I'm happy for Leonidas and others that were able to flee the state. I think I'm stuck here, though, unless I win the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes.


When you're on a sinking ship and the water reaches the promenade, follow the rats.- Leonidas

4 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Fred, don't lie, you know you could sell your place and have enough money left over to buy a place outright somewhere else.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Maybe. But what would I live on? I'm 50 years old with no real marketable job skills. I'm a maintenance gardener now but can hardly handle that, the older I get, so I couldn't move somewhere else and start over doing that.

Too young for social security and both our retirement accounts had to be used for medical bills. That's what happens when a serious disease comes around and you don't have health insurance. Never mind that we're facing a bone marrow transplant for the wife now which will likely put her out of work for two years, assuming she survives the transplant.

And never mind the copayments which I likely won't be able to pay off in my lifetime, so we'll in all likelihood end up back on MediCal, which doesn't allow you to have more than $3000 dollars in the bank.

Seems to me we're stuck here.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

maybe you and the missus should move to hawaii and live as beach bums? Seriously though, for the most part it is the economy. I moved back to the midwest for awhile and while most jobs pay less it is still a decrease in the cost of living. Course there's no good coffee places within a hundred miles. Another aspect of it is indeed politics, when the state demands my obedience then demands payment for the luxury of tyranny its time to leave. Also, I wonder if teh trend within teh next 50 years is going to be cities in the midwest becoming bigger and eventually the country becoming more even population wise across the nation. Hell nebraska only has a million people and most of them live in two cities bordering iowa.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
Most people do not realize the ship is sinking. They see the rats leaving and think: "How interesting. The crew must have an extraordinarily effective extermination plan." It's business as usual, electing enviro nazi friendly collectivist politicians, raising taxes, expanding welfare and using school funds to pay extortion $ to bi lingual, diversity pushing, incompetent and marxist "educators". Now the results of the collectivist agenda are becoming all too obvious. The water has reached the upper decks and the ones manning the pumps are fewer and fewer. Businesses (corporations) DO NOT PAY TAXES!! If they cannot pass on their costs to consumers they simply go out of business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home