Monday, February 27, 2006

No Pic Today

At least until I can figure out what server I can stick it on so my ugly mug will just have to remain a memory. Kinda weird that freeservers tells me I can't link to my picture on their server.

Not in the mood for politics today. Heading down to the Bay Area within the hour for more very unpleasant business. Should be back tomorrow afternoon. I may or may not post before then because I'm actually taking my old E- Machines computer down with me just to see how well it works in another town using dial up.

Don't know if it's worth the hassle. The tower and keyboard fits behind the seat of my truck quite well but the monitor is too big, at least with two people in the cab, so I had to put it in a semi- waterproof plastic container, wrap it with a garbage bag and tie it down it the bed of my truck. Don't know if it will survive the journey with all the rain, but what the heck. If it gets water in it I'll have an excuse to get rid of that old style fifteen inch monitor. That thing drives me nuts. Once you've used a flat screen, there's no going back

13 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

The tower and keyboard fits behind the seat of my truck quite well but the monitor is too big, at least with two people in the cab, so I had to put it in a semi- waterproof plastic container, wrap it with a garbage bag and tie it down it the bed of my truck.

Henceforth, this sort of setup shall be known as a "Humboldt County laptop."

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'd give anything for a real laptop.

Bye, folks. I'm outta here.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
If Leonidas was a religious person he would be praying for both your wife and you. As an agnostic he therefore wishes that the Force be with you.

A good possible solution to your photo problem may be at:http://photobucket.com/

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

I'd give anything for a real laptop.

Would you give $599.95?

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...so my ugly mug will just have to remain a memory."

Hey, you've got a very nice face, Fred.

photobucket.com will host images for free, so you could use them in your posts too.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Don't have the $599, Hank. Actually, this old tower isn't that bad but the monitor sure is a hassle to drag around. I'll give you a report on my HC laptop when I get home. It made it ok in the back of my truck through the pouring rain, amazingly enough.

Complications arose and the wife and I were returning home when further complications arose and we were told we were needed back there Wednesday. So, we're in Healdsburg at a hotel waiting to turn back around and head back tomorrow morning.

Bad thing was I couldn't get online using dialup, for some reason, in Frisco. The place had wirless broadband, but I'm not set up for that.

I figured I'd try dial up again here in Headlsburg, but as I was hooking everything up, I noticed a gray cable connected to the phone jack that looked like those DSL data cables, or whatever they're called. That's exactly what it was. Cool. It works.

This running back and forth is getting expensive.

And, thanks guys, I'll check out that photobucket thing. I knew I'd seen something out there that you could stick photos on. I put my pic on my Yahoo profile and I think that would have worked, but the url was too long and blogspot wouldn't accept it.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mac or PC, Hank?

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Hey, Fred - your picture is still showing up on other blogs where you've posted, so they must still be hosting your pic.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That's weird. I believe I removed it from that server the other day.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Hmmmm. well, it's still on Steven's blog.

The blogosphere's half-life. Or is it after-life - for photos.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

I'm wishing the best for as long as possible you and your wife.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanks, Jeff.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Thanks for not teasing me for my bad grammar, and instead hearing my good intentions. Wish I had the motivation to comment on your topics. Maybe someday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home