Sunday, November 19, 2006

Good Bye, Farmer's Market

Ok. Here we go again. Feel free to call me a curmudgeon.

I was wondering when the Farmer's Markets would be closing for the season. I guess Saturday was the last day for the local Farmer's Markets. I'm glad.

I actually think they're kind of neat, except the one time I actually went to the Henderson Center Farmer's Market everything seemed fairly expensive. As I've said before, I don't see how growers can make any money coming to Farmer's Markets, especially if they drive all the way from Hoopa, or thereabouts.

I always forget about them, though, probably because I'm often not concious of what day of the week it is. So I'll drive to Henderson Center, for whatever reason, and find there's nowhere to park because of the Farmer's Market- A rather unpleasant surprise. I've actually drove over to the Eureka Mall to take care of business when that happens.

It will be nice to have the open parking spaces on Thursdays for the rest of the winter. Shame for the growers. I was surprised to read in the E/R article that one grower gets a fair amount of his income from the Markets.

Not to worry. I'm sure those that depend on it can take advantage of the Farmer's Market the Eureka Co- 0p is setting up. Looks like this is a good thing for those that like the Markets, as now they'll be available all year.

That's a good thing for all involved: The growers and buyers get their Farmer's Market and it's not going to be in my neighborhood, at least for the winter.

10 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Fred,

I went organic (as much as possible) about ten years ago. Organic food is the healthiest food. As sales volume in organic food increases, let's hope prices come down. No question, it's a more expensive way to eat.

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Organics have become big business, too. We live in Organic Dairyland near Loleta and are proud of Humboldt Creamery and the Loleta Cheese Factory. There is a flip-side, as discussed in Businessweek Magazine's October 16 cover story at

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_42/b4005001.htm

Thank you, Carol - for getting me onto organic food. I know it's helped my health. No question about that.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Do you or Carol happen to know if "Organic" milk is subject to that law in California that requires all those milk solids be added to milk sold with the state (that's why milk is more expensive here than other states)?

That was some skullduggery the diary industry initiated years ago to lock up the milk market for California dairy producers.

Just wondered if Humboldt Creamery's organic milk had to have milk solids added?

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eat a lot of organic, but am picky because I disagree that it is always the healthies to eat.

 
At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a breakfast of Doritos and a Mountain Dew anyday.

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont worry Fred, there's no farmers market down by the library at 2:30am so no worries their for ya. Plenty of parking.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I believe I'm talking about a slightly different issue. This might explain:
http://www.mindfully.org/Food/CA-Milk-Regs.htm

While that article seems to be favorable towards fortified milk, I read somewhere else, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, hardly a less government type organization, has said there is little, if any, benefit to adding calcium and such to milk.

As I, and others, see it, this is just protectonist legislation to support California dairy farmers.

A real lefty California legislator, Carole Midgen, tried a while back to get rid of this fortification requirement and got nowhere.

I guess fighting something like this is akin to Congressman Mike Thompson trying to end the practice of zone pricing by oil companies. It's just something you don't do and, if you do try, you'll be put in your place in a moment by the powers that be.

Actually, this fortified milk issue isn't unlike the fluoridated water issue in some ways, except with milk there's no proven benefit to be shown from adding stuff to it. Although this is a bit of an opposite: In this case the people want the choice of BUYING milk without certain additives.

Kinda like if the fluoride proponents made the sale of water without fluoride illegal in California and wouldn't allow non- fluoridated water to be imported.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I just wonder if things labeled "organic" are subject to that regulation like the other milks, or do they get special consideration?

I don't know.

Probably wouldn't be hard to find out. If you get milk from an organic producer, look at the ingredients.If it says Vitamins A&D added, or "non- fat milk solids", or whatever the term used is, then that stuff is added.

If not, it isn't- unless they're allowed not to list ingredients, which would surprise me with an organic listing.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We just need Bob and Alice to chime in and we'll have ourselves a movie.

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard from two of the growers that the Eureka C0-op won't be putting up an awning for them, after all. Some of them may still show up, but it will be smaller than projected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home