Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Stupid Kid Games, Stunts or Pranks

How about another trip down memory lane? Remember all those stupid things you did as a kid that you would never do now? I'm sure most of us can think of at least one.

Uncle Enore, over at the Bunch of Dump Crap blog, got me started on this. He was ranting about people spitting on the sidewalk, or some such. I reminded him that honking loogies can have it's fun side. Reminded me of a true story that happened when I was going to junior high school in Tustin, CA:

I was walking down Charloma Drive on the way to school with a couple friends. Somehow we got started in the silly little spit fight. We started gargling up big loogies and spitting them at each other's legs or feet and see if the other guy was quick enough to move his feet out of the way.

Thing is we did it slow enough so it wasn't too hard to avoid the loogie. I don't think we really wanted to hit the other guy.

So, I go overboard and generate the mother of all loogies. I go to spit it between Mark's legs but missed and hit him right on the front of his pants below one of his pockets. Ooops!

That thing must have splattered to three inches. It grossed us all out. Mark's looking down on it going something like "Oh no, oh no...", grossed out as the rest of us and trying to figure how he's going to get it off of him. Strangely enough, I think we were laughing about it at the same time.

All of the sudden Mark throws up his breakfast on the sidewalk. At least some of it. Then we really started laughing, even Mark.

He eventually scraped it of his leg with a stick and we laughed all the way to school.

Sounds like fun, huh?
*********
Another stupid game that comes to mind off the top of my head was this tough guy bb gun thing we'd do.

I had an old Crossman spring loaded bb hand gun. Didn't have a lot of power, but could still hurt you. I remember we'd back off a few yards and shoot each other in the butt with it. Then, you'd move closer and keep shooting until it hurt to much or someone just chickened out.

Stupid, huh? Don't try that at home, kids.

Anyone else have any stupid games, stunts or pranks you did as a kid that you'd like to share?

12 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Just thought of another one: Orange fights.

These were actually a blast. Problem was, we were trespassing and essentially destroying private property.

Back when I lived in Orange County, there were acres and acres of orange groves. There were even some small, private groves.

There was one we lived near in Tustin. I forget how many trees but would guess about 16, maybe more.

We used to go into the orchard on the side opposite the owner's house so they wouldn't see us. Then we'd break into teams, give each team a few minutes to find a headquarters and pick enough ammo (oranges) to make for a good fight.

It would be really creepy, just like we figured Viet Nam must be like. The grass was really high in that orchard and, with the trees, it was all you could do to spot the enemy. Often times the first notice you'd get of the enemy nearby was an orange flying in your direction.

Yep. Fun stuff. One particular incident stands out with me even today:

During the melee, one of the guys got hurt somehow or another. We declared a truce and all stood around comforting the injured guy.

He wasn't hurt too bad and got up to get back in the game. Then the dilemma of how to end the truce?

Greg Johns was on the other team and we stood there looking at each other and finally agreed that no oranges would be thrown until we were both out of sight of each other.

We started walking towards our respective sides, looking back at each other frequently. I look back once and he wasn't looking.

Couldn't help myself. Just as I started to throw he turns around and saw me and tries to dodge the orange. I still hit him in the butt.

But he was older, stronger and faster than I: an opponent to be feared. I took off a runnin' as fast as I could, dodging back and forth hoping to miss what I knew was coming my way.

WHOP! He got me, right in the back of my head. He threw it hard enough the orange exploded and juice was all over me, especially my hair.

That sucks! Ever get orange juice in your hair?

I left the battle and went home to take a shower.

He got me fair and square. Paybacks are a bitch.

I wonder how many dollars worth of oranges we destroyed in our orange fights?

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Gross, Fred. Gee, you remind me of my older brother who threw me in the pond when I was barely 3 to "teach me how to swim". To give him credit, he pulled me out when I started to sink.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had friends who used to put bottlecaps (with holes in them so you could see) over their eyes for protection, then had BB gun wars, many a summer evening.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Gosh Fred! How ever did sweet mother mangles find herself married to a bad boy like you??

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Carol wrote, "Gross, Fred.".

Hey!!! We were just kids, and it was fun, most of the time anyway.

4:48 wrote, "I had friends who used to put bottlecaps (with holes in them so you could see) over their eyes for protection, then had BB gun wars, many a summer evening.".

Don't know that I'd ever done that. Don't try that at home, folks. OUCH !

6:18 wrote, "How ever did sweet mother mangles find herself married to a bad boy like you??".

Hey...not such a bad boy, here. Just did what kids did back then: Being yourself, and having fun.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Playing chicken has to be the worst. The site of the latest tragedy on Fieldbrook Road has been hard to pass by these last few days. There are many people holding vigils there, and the sadness permeates the air.

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Playing on the monkey bars and trying to pull the other kid down by wrapping your legs around his waist and then jerking him downward.

What a delightful game. Good for all parts of a growing boy except for the part where the two legs meet, and where the other little athlete would almost certainly kick one of his Keds deep into the family jewels in a most abrupt and unpleasant way.

We called that game "Playing Chicken" but a more fitting name might have been "Driving to the Emergency Room."

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I agree, Rose, that "playing chicken" has to be the worst, if not deadly. One of the neighborhood kids got killed while "playing chicken" in my neighborhood in Chatham.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Chicken is something I've never done and never had any desire to do.

11:16 wrote, "Playing on the monkey bars...".

I vaguely remember doing something like that on those "monkey bars" that were like a horizontal ladder.

Seems to me that what we usually did was try to be the one that could cross over the most bars at one time while swinging our way across.

Problem was, as I finally discovered, if you swung far enough to span three bars, your head went right up into the bar in the middle with the full force of your swinging body. OUCH!

Surprised I didn't break my neck.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you! Glad your neck is OK.

Say, did you know Monkey Bars were later used to great effect in terrorizing Americans?

Videotapes of Bin Laden's troops on Monkey Bars were shown over and over after 9-11 on all the major TV networks. The mere sight of those barefooted Al-Quaeda soldiers working their way hand-over-hand across the Monkey Bars was utterly and inexplicably terrifying.

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about steping on matches, trying to light them when the snap in half? I still have a scar on my left foot from where a neigbor kids caught my foot on fire!

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about taking a whole roll of caps and smashing them with a hammer on the edge of the sidewalk to make one big noisy blast? We used to do that all the time.

We heard stories about kids whose arms were blasted backward, hitting them in the head with the hammer's head, but we never saw anyone with hammer-head scars.

Someone's Mom probably made up that story to discourage our game because she was tired of hearing those earth-shattering Booms!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home