Friday, October 12, 2007

Spam Forwarding Addresses

Was just made aware of this e-mail address run by the Federal Trade Commission(?) to which you can forward fraudulent spam you receive. I don't know that it's really meant for all spam, just spam used for fraud and/ or phishing: spam@uce.gov

I used it for the first time the other day when I received one of those supposed letters from the Internal Revenue Service telling me they owed me a big refund. Didn't receive any acknowledgment that my forwarded e-mail had been received and have no idea whether they actually do anything in regards those frauds, but, you might as well give it a try. It would be nice to see some of these scammers get caught and prosecuted.

Oh, and to mention it again: Don't forget to forward any of those phony Paypal e-mail messages to spoof@paypal.com. They actually send you an acknowledgment and will tell you if it's a scam, or actually an e-mail sent by Paypal. They also try to shut down whoever's doing it, although I don't know if they try and prosecute (they should).

I get a lot of the phony Paypal e-mails and always forward them. A few days ago I forwarded one to Paypal that was actually a legitimate Paypal e-mail. Something in the links of that e-mail made me suspicious. First time I've gotten it wrong with the Paypal scams.

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, when you were a child I dropped you and every time you bounced it took 17 points off your IQ. Sorry.

-Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home