Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Schwan's

They had this item in last Sunday's American Profile tabloid/ magazine. That's the one that comes with the Eureka Reporter(?) each Sunday. I believe the Times- Standard uses Parade(?) magazine.

I'd always noticed those Schwan's trucks. I've seen one driving around Eureka on occasion. Seemed to me it might be a fun job, working for Schwan's, delivering ice cream and other frozen foods. I always thought they just delivered ice cream until I read the story.

But I had to wonder because, for one thing, they seemed to always have a Help Wanted sign on the back of their truck. They always seemed to have a different driver, too. Something must be amiss, thought I. When a business has a large turnover and constantly has Help Wanted ads up, that's a red flag in my book.

Then a month or so ago my mail guy mentioned Schwan's when he delivered my mail. I guess he'd been talking to the Schwan's driver earlier in the day. This time it was a gal, I'd actually seen her earlier in the day myself and noted that, once again, Schwan's had a new driver.

So my mail guy tells me she told him the job was "not cutting it...". She supposedly works up to ten hours a day and works strictly on commission. No minimum wage or anything else. She was on the verge of giving up on it just like all those before her. She told my mail guy she just couldn't make enough money to live on with that job, despite the long hours.

Good thing I didn't try and quit my job for that one. It seems to work for that guy in the AP story, though.

Haven't seen that truck around town for a while. Couldn't they find another driver?

8 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just saw it the other day on Henderson, but didn't notice the driver, though I think it was a man. IS there only one truck in town?

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I guess they have yet another driver.

Yes, I believe they only have one truck up here. I can't help but wonder if the Help Wanted ads are for more drivers.

Then again, it seems fairly obvious they're having a hard time keeping this area covered.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I meant to say that the Help Wanted ads are likely meant for more drivers in this county (and other routes). Doesn't look like a good deal.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, they just have a high turnover rate.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't they do what the "La Barca number 2" truck does? Park illegally by Eureka High School in violation of zoning laws, without a business license from the City of Eureka, and for all I know, without a Health Department Inspection.

Phone calls to the City Council, The Eureka Police Department, City Hall business licensing department, and the Eureka High School have not yet stopped "La Barca" from selling its Mexican food from its big lunch wagon within a half-block of the campus.

If Eureka is so inept at enforcing its zoning laws and its business licensing requirements, it is no wonder that we can't begin to control the more serious crime here.

If a city ignores violations of small crimes, it encourages more serious crimes to occur. This was proven in New York. The reverse is also true. Enforce all the laws, even the supposedly minor ones, and major crime decreases.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Because what you said 8:45 PM is RACIST, and a HATE CRIME. Don't you know anything?

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

La Barca has it's Eureka business license pasted right in front of the window where you order your food. It couldn't be more obvious. Look inside, it's clean, locally owned, and very friendly! God forbid they feed our children.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the piece of paper in La Barca Number 2's window is a legitimate business license, it must be because the City went after them and forced them to obtain one.

I say that because in December and January, the City of Eureka had no record of a business license for La Barca #2.

Not only that, but the La Barca lunch truck is operating in a prohibited location. La Barca violates laws on an ongoing basis. They are not what I would call Good Neighbors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home