Monday, February 18, 2008

Zombie Does Berkeley

I just noticed Zombie, the photo- journalist from the Bay Area, has a new story up on her(?) web site. This one is of a recent protest in Berkeley over the Marine Corps Recruiting Office there. Both protesters and counter- protesters showed up. Rather lengthy and consists of two whole pages with photos and commentary.

I'm trying to figure out which side I would have felt comfortable with, assuming I was there. I'm not a pacifist but opposed the invasion of Iraq. I suppose I'd probably fit in best with the counter- protesters, but I think I'd just sit have sat on the sidelines, chat with each side, and watch and comment as I often do.
*********
I didn't follow the story all that closely in the papers. One question I have is, isn't there just more than one service's recruiting offices in Berkley? What about the Army, Navy and Air Force?

What side would you have stood with at the Berkley protest?
Code Pink, anti- war
Pro- military
Stand on Sidelines
Stay home
Free polls from Pollhost.com



4 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Well, I am glad to see we still have rights to free speech. Very interesting photos, Fred. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about another category for opposing the war but really opposing the code pink idiots and their tactics. I firmly stand with our troops and our military, I just think the whole Iraq mess was mishandled, not to the point of the bush derangement syndrome of many, however.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, I'd say that would put you in the Stand on the Sidelines category. In other words, you sympathize to some extent with both sides. That's what I chose.

We may disagree on the specific reasons why we stand with one side or the other on an issue, but we don't see the issue as black and white.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Some very disturbing signs and lack of leadership in the anti-war movement down there, but what do I know?

I do have to say that some of Zombie's comments are over-the-top and her or she completely misunderstands what she's photographing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home