Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Who Was First?

After meeting Captain Buhne at the Blogger's Picnic, I believe one of the first things he asked me was which one of us started our blog first. I've heard at least one other person tell me that "You started it all...". Someone must of told him the same thing. I wasn't first but, if I did anything to get things going, it was probably just networking with other bloggers as I found them until a community of sorts developed.

Buhne was first, but I found out about his blog after I started mine. Read about the Buhne Tribune in a short piece by Hank Sims in the North Coast Journal way back then. Went to the site and became a regular there.

Ryan said he started his in February of 2005(?), I believe. A quick look at my archives shows my first post being made on March 9, 2005 with the first comment being made by my internet buddy, Tom Knapp, of The Knappster blog (and current vice- presidential candidate for the Boston Tea Party).

In the second post, the first comment was made by none other than Becky Carr, of recent fame in that her and her hubby were the main witnesses to the murder/ suicide not long ago on Union Street in Eureka.

Tom was probably my first inspiration to start a blog, although I wanted to deal with more local stuff and not national or Libertarian Party politics as he often does. Once I saw the Buhne Tribune I realized that was more along the line of what I wanted to do but realized I didn't have the satiristic skill to do that. So what you see here is what I ended up doing.

Now there's umpteen local blogs. Too many to keep track of although I have around 35 bookmarked that I check daily. What would be interesting to do, if I had the time, would be to create a chronology of Humboldt blog history with a list showing what blogs started when. I'll leave that task to someone else.

5 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that it's a contest, but I started the Talking Tech blog on May 19, 2004. I have a smaller and more focused audience. But the blog is still pretty active.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yes, true, but that's not exactly what I meant. Buhne's blog was the first (that I know of) that really generated interest in local blogs and blogging to the point where it took off to where it is today. He ended up with quite a following (to a fault some would say).

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Hmmm,I'd that Humboldt Public Forums could have been the first.And was that technically a blog anyways?

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Never heard of the Humboldt Public Forums. I'm sure there were any number of blogs around before Cap'n Buhne. I'm just saying Buhne, along with publicity from the North Coast Journal, and then some networking effort on my and other's part was what got the Humboldt Blogosphere to where it is today.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Not really a blog, but event listings, my first post was on September 18, 2005. Bob's was the first local blog I remember reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home