Monday, October 27, 2008

No Outs From Eureka Mandatory Recycling

I got a letter from the City of Eureka a few weeks ago. It was in regards the mandatory garbage and recycling program that will become effective January 1. I'd expected it and, upon reading it, got the impression reinforced that you could opt out if you could show you properly took care of your own garbage. I guess I was wrong.

Apparently, the exclusion only applies to people who self- haul their garbage to the transfer station and can demonstrate they take care of their own recycling. Since I already subscribe to City Garbage pick- up, I guess that means I have to subscribe to their damned curbside recycling too.

I can't thank our shitbird city council members enough for this brainstorm of an idea. At least they left the curbside green waste pick up as voluntary.

If anybody's interested, below is the reply I received from my inquiry to City Hall:

Hello Mr. Mangels

Since you already subscribe to City Garbage services, your current bill will not change. The curbside green waste program is voluntary. You won't be charged for the green waste collection unless you call and set up the service. In July 2009, you will receive a recycling bin from City Garbage, and your rates will change ($3 increase per month). Unfortunately, the mandatory garbage and recycling collection ordinance does not include an exemption for the mandatory recycling component. The recycler's exemption mentioned in the letter you received is to opt out of City Garbage services completely based on the fact that a property owner recycles and composts virtually all of their solid waste so that they have little to no solid waste for disposal. After July '09, you can still take your valuable recyclables in for redemption and use the bin for non-redeemable recyclables (junk mail, cardboard, tin cans, paper, newspaper, non-redeemable plastic containers, etc.). You could then look into a smaller bin at a lower rate because a good portion of your waste could be diverted to the recycling bin. A 20 gallon garbage bin is currently approximately $16/month. City Garbage also has a senior rate at approximately $8/month. If you have questions about the rates contact City Garbage, 442-5711. If you have any other questions about exemptions or the ordinance, please call me.

8 Comments:

At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shitbird eh? This is probably the smartest thing the council has done in the past two years.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Joe Blow said...

"I can't thank our shitbird city council members enough for this brainstorm of an idea. At least they left the curbside green waste pick up as voluntary."

I can't thank them enough either!

This is a classic example of knee-jerk female representation in government. Brainstorm? No one thinks anything through enough to determine the consequences anymore.

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why Fred is opposed to diverting recyclables away from the landfill.

What I don't like about it is that you are forced to do business with a private company. I believe if the city makes this mandatory -- which I agree with -- it's the city that should run the service.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've never been against recycling. In fact, I'm somewhat of a fanatical recycler all on my own. Despite that, the City of Eureka tells me I have to pay $3.00 more a month to use their recycling service instead of just taking my recyclables in myself as I always do.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

yes shitbird idea. forced to pay for a service I won't use. I recycle already. If they keep jacking up the price at city garbage your going to start finding more people throwing their trash off some remote roadside. a big problem we've had in the past.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Fred, count your blessings. In Garberville it costs us thirty dollars to get rid of a TV or monitor. You can't even get rid of fluorescent tubes. We have to haul everything recyclable to Redway to get rid of it, and most things you can't get rid of, for instance; where do you legally get rid of a pressure treated board?

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burn the board and force some politician to inhale the fumes.

 
At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When every citizen of Eureka is required to put their recyclable material into a bin on the curb, won't that open up a whole new world to the homeless scroungers who like to dig through our garbage already?

Other cities have found that the curbside recycle bins are easy pickings for people who are looking for easy money.

What I think will happen, is that homeless alcoholics and drug addiccts will wander the streets at night, stealing people's valuable recyclable cans and bottles. Yes, I know, they are already doing it, but I expect a big surge in that kind of scrounging activity.

Does that make sense to you? Or am I falling into paranoia yet again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home