Friday, December 19, 2008

Willits Rail Line Gone?

Hank Sims' Town Dandy column in this week's North Coast Journal confirms what I thought I noticed when we were leaving Willits on Tuesday: The section of rail line that crossed Highway 101 just north of Willits has been paved over.

Wow. I guess someone down there isn't holding their breath for the rail line to start up again. I could see paving over the rail lines up here. After all, re- establishing rail service to Humboldt is a bit more far- fetched than to Mendocino County, at least as far north as to Willits.

I'd be curious to know just who it was that decided it was extreme wishful thinking to leave that section of rail uncovered?

4 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

I believe that Caltrans was prompted to pave it over because of a couple of motorcycle accidents at that crossing. See page 2 of this PDF.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It means nothing in the long run. Black top is easy to lay or remove.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The line in several areas has been paved over, but I have heard that since the RR owns them that whoever did the paving has to restore them too.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just hear the folks at Caltrans wringing their hands over possibly having to expose the tracks again. In your dreams that is.

Probably the best safety move Caltrans has made in years. They were kind of hazardous because of the angle they crossed the road. I don't know why more unused tracks don't get paved over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home