Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Being Home In The Cold

It sure is nice being home when it's cold like this. I can actually enjoy looking out the back door and seeing the frost all over everything, rather than being kind of scared as I was yesterday morning knowing I'd have to be driving through it.

I think I actually feel warmer when it's this cold, too. I'd like to think that's because the cold air freezes most of the moisture in the air (which then becomes frost?) so it's less humid and you don't feel as damp. But, looking at weather.com just a few minutes ago showed the temperature at 24 degrees with 100% humidity. What's with that?
************
Getting back to yesterday, the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat reports today will be another day of black ice. They also mention a few of yesterday's accidents. Interesting there's mention of an overturned tractor- trailer rig near Bell Springs Road yesterday morning, but no mention of the apparent collision we almost became a part of. I wonder if the tractor- trailer overturned as a result of trying to avoid running into the wreck that we almost ran in to?

3 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday AM about 8 we were on our way to Eureka and the traffic on 101 was not going over 40 to 45 mph. First time I have seen drivers actually realizing that the highway had ice at different spots and the "shoulder" was actually white so not a spot to slide onto either.

If we had to go somewhere early this morning, I don't think we could get up our driveway as it is hard to even walk on to get newspaper.

Is the Best Western the newer motel on the northbound side in the southern end of town? In Willits you could have gotten credits on trip rewards at the Super 8 as they are involved also.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The Best Western is the one, if you're entering Willits from the south, on the south end of town on the right side of the road. It's been there for a while.

My mistake: I didn't try the Motel 6. It was the Super 8 I tried first. For some reason I keep calling it a Motel 6.

Super 8 said they were all filled up, although he just signed in two people as I was standing there. Don't know if he didn't like my looks, or what. He tried to send me to some other place, an America's Best, or some such, that he or someone he knew owned. I went to the Best Western instead.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Carol said...

My daughte came home to Humboldt Tuesday night and drove through the snow, but she was following the snow plow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home