Thursday, January 22, 2009

New Anti- Prop 8 Initiatives To Circulate

The Sacramento Bee reports two ballot initiatives have been filed so far with the Attorney General's office that would void Prop 8, the anti- same sex marriage initiative passed last election.

I'm not happy with The California Marriage Equality Act (.pdf file) if only because it simply repeals Prop 8. I think it's just too early after the election for an initiative like that to succeed.

Keep in mind what happened to Prop 10, the tobacco tax increase that passed a few years ago. It barely passed. When an initiative was placed on the ballot the next election to repeal it, the repeal attempt was soundly defeated.


I'm much more happy with at least the intent of the Domestic Partner Initiative (.pdf file) if only because it pretty much echoes my view of the issue: We leave marriages to the churches. Government, so much as it deals with personal relationships at all, just recognizes domestic partnerships.

This wouldn't change anything except for perhaps wording on current "marriage licenses", as I see it. All else would remain the same since, when you think about it, hetero couples already have to file for a license with their local county clerks, don't they? If this initiative passes, it would just be a domestic partnership license instead of a marriage license. If they want something that says they're married, get it from the church.

A couple problems I see with it is, once again, they chose to include mention of the fact that the initiative also voids Prop 10. Still, I guess that's fair enough, although I would likely have worded it a bit different.

This also gives the Religious Right at least some fodder for the argument that the homosexual community threatens marriage, if only by changing the words used, although I suspect they'll still use that argument no matter which way an initiative is worded.

I'll be looking forward to help circulate some petitions should the initiative be approved for distribution.
********
Some other initiatives have also been filed with the Attorney General's office dealing with other issues, at least three so far dealing with the budget . I'll try and comment on them later.

7 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you saying we get rid of civil marriage all together and just have Domestic partnerships for all couples who want to go the legal route. I can imagine allot of pissed off straight folks, but I think the idea is wonderful. By the way I love your blog.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Evan Ravitz said...

I agree that the Domestic Partnership Initiative is probably better. But a Newsweek poll shows a surge in support for gay marriage: http://www.swimmingfreestyle.net/swimming_freestyle/2008/12/newsweek-poll-shows-surge-of-support-for-gay-marriage.html

Putting an issue on the ballot can be miserable (for gays, here) but it exposes ignorance and prejudice, which help dispel it.

We need NATIONAL ballot initiatives to really make progress: http://Vote.org

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger MikeMorgan, FormerCouncilmember said...

I think it's the way to go to - marriage comes out of all government language. It becomes a personally defined, religious or spiritual term, and everyone gets the same Partnership License - or whatever we end up calling it.

This solution, as the best usually are, is very clear, simple, and fair.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Liz wrote, "Are you saying we get rid of civil marriage all together and just have Domestic partnerships for all couples who want to go the legal route.".

Yep. It seems to me that, if government is going to recognize relationships between people, that recognition should involve legal commitments only. Religious unions, as some I know think marriage is, should be church business.

And yes, some are going to claim the homos are once again trying to do away with traditional marriage. I suspect many of those claiming that will make that argument no matter how the initiative is worded.

Evan wrote, "But a Newsweek poll shows a surge in support for gay marriage:".

I don't know that you can count on polls too much. Polls showed our Prop 8 losing some months before the last election. As the election neared, public opinion seemed to have changed, apparently just enough for Prop 8 to win.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Mike wrote, "...I think it's the way to go to...".

Sorry your comment took so long to show up, Mike. Not sure what happened. I could of sworn I approved the comment, but didn't notice it not being posted. Only noticed it when I stumbled upon my comments moderation page this morning.

That's not the first time that's happened. There's been a number of times I've sworn I approved comments only to find them a week or two later sitting on the comments moderation page awaiting approval.

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look the proponents for the initiative are heterosexuals. They aren't part of the "gay" community, and it's a view that they share with a lot of people. When the religious community can't see eye to eye and accept that the role of the government is to protect everyone's right, not just their religious belief, then there needs to be a change... this is more of a compromise

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger MikeMorgan, FormerCouncilmember said...

Fred wrote: "Sorry your comment took so long to show up, Mike. Not sure what happened. I could of sworn I approved the comment"

No Problem - that happens on my blog too. What's worse is sometimes people try to post a comment, think they have, but nothing happens - that's bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home