Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Travelogue: 5/31-6/1

Left for UCSF again Sunday morning. Left a bit later than usual for whatever reason. It was a bit after 11am. That turned out to be a good idea as I was able to listen to one of my favorite KMUD radio shows- Bud Rogers' Edge of the Herd(?). Usually, about the time he comes on, we're heading down into Willits where we often lose KMUD's signal. This time we lost it after the show was over.

Didn't seem to be many of my fellow 55 mile per hour folks on the road as there were earlier. I try to stay at around 55 to save gas. Apparently most others don't care, or don't see any need, to save on gas. People must be better off nowadays than they're making out to be.

The rivers seemed low for this early in the year, as I would of expected. Almost hard to tell with the Eel, as it's been over three months since we'd seen it. Still, looking at it and realizing it's just the end of May/ beginning of June, I couldn't help think that river will be but a trickle come September.

The Russian River was obviously lower than I was used to seeing. Noticed a lot of algae in places I'd never noticed it before. Still, some areas had enough for swimming and there seemed to be a fair amount of people hitting the river judging from the number of cars parked along the side of the road. Must be the traditional beginning of summer outing for them.

Didn't notice as big a spread in gas prices between Humboldt and Mendocino that I seemed to recall. The Willits Safeway had regular unleaded for $2.74- $2.71 with the Safeway card discount. I believe gas was $2.79 at the Renner cardlock when I filled up before leaving. I thought there was a bigger difference than that before.

A big disappointment when we arrive in Cloverdale to buy our night's dinner at Quizno's as we normally do. The place went out of business. No idea why. Now where are we going to buy dinner at? Not at Kentucky Fried Chicken across the parking lot.

I figured we could find some place to deliver to our room when we arrived in Novato- pizza or some such. Connie seemed to want to go find some place to eat but, after driving for over four hours, I had no taste for driving around some town I didn't know to try and find a place.

Checked in to the Day's Inn around 4:30. New guy working there that was friendlier than most front desk folks are, in my experience. I'd asked for a room on the first floor, if possible, and this time I actually got one. I even saw my request written on the reservation form. I guess it depends who takes your reservation as to whether any special requests are noted.

For dinner, we ended up looking through the phone book and found a couple pizza places that delivered. We settled on Red Boy Pizza. Ordered a salad for Connie and a Pizza California for the two of us. It was delivered within the hour.

Pizza California was just a pizza with artichokes and onions on it. It was ok but not anything I can imagine wanting to go back there specifically for. I would of been interested in trying the Pizza Marcelo that had anchovies on it. Call me crazy, but I enjoy anchovies on pizza occasionally. Maybe next time.

Problem was, at around $30.00 for a pizza and salad, that is a bit more than we care to pay for dinner. Buying dinner at Quizno's usually ended up being less than $15.00.

A rather odd coincidence with the TV programming there. We turn on the TV and the same movie is playing on TBS that I watched last time we were there: Sahara. I enjoy action/ adventure movies like that and wouldn't mind watching it again. Connie fell asleep last time and only watched a bit of the beginning. This time she watched the whole thing and seemed to enjoy it as I did.

Got up next morning and noticed the place apparently had lawn sprinklers running in the night. I thought they were under water restrictions down in Marin County? Even saw the maintenance guy watering some of the landscape shrubs with a hose. I guess they know what they can and can't do. Later on I noticed a sign along the freeway saying landscape plantings are watered with gray water. Maybe that's what they were using at Day's Inn?

Went for breakfast at the Inn's breakfast room, as usual. Toast, a couple hard boiled eggs and orange juice is usually all I need to get me going. Problem was, there were no eggs to be had, at all. What was with that? Had to satisfy myself with four slices of toast and orange juice.

Headed in to The City and found myself getting really, really sleepy. So much so I was worried about not paying proper attention to driving. I thought I slept ok the night before and couldn't figure out what was going on with that. But we made it and I was real sleepy the whole time we were there. Rough day.

When we left I seemed to get a second wind and we raced back with only short stops in Cloverdale, Willits and the Leggett rest stop.

We got into Eureka just before 8pm and for some reason I couldn't help but notice all the people out doing their thing when it's essentially night time but it still being light outside. Made me think of Alaska, for some reason, where it stays light most of the day this time of year.

I like being able to arrive at home when there's still some daylight to be had.

5 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Welcome back home.

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh , Oh sounds like , Good ole ' Fred has teamed up w/ Mr. Ranger .

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you shop at Safeway you accrue gasoline points that are more than the club card .03 cents. I noticed I have ten cents at least now. But there is no Safeway bere with gas and when we went to Redding I forgot to take the receipt along to get my gas. They expire every so often but it still pays.

We still get gas in Santa Rosa at Costco as it is cheaper than Safeway gas. From Days Inn in Novato just drive on the same street but don't get on the freeway and you will have a lots of places to eat - Subway, Quiznos, etc. plus other pretty good restaurants. Does Days Inn still have waffles?

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep, they still have waffles. Supposed to have hard boiled eggs in the morning, too, but none were to be found this last time.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Casual Observer said...

Next time in Cloverdale try Ruth McGowan's Brew Pub. Pretty good sandwiches and salads and they brew their own beer--it's starting to show up at some beer tastings in Humboldt County

 

Post a Comment

<< Home