Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Newspaper Tax?

I was at the Harris & K Market in Eureka yesterday. I noticed a sign on their newspaper rack saying newspapers were now subject to sales tax. Silly me. I didn't think to ask the clerk there what that was all about.

I assumed it must be a new tax raised by the Democrats, but I couldn't find anything about a new tax on newspapers online. I'm guessing it must be the old tax on newspapers Pete Wilson came up with, way back when? Maybe Harris & K just found out they're supposed to be charging the tax? I don't know. Haven't seen such signs anywhere else.

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Newspapers have been a taxable item for a couple decades, give or take a few years. I believe you are correct about Pete Wilson.

However, some retailers sell it at face value. So a 50 cent paper may sell for 50 cents, but that 50 cents includes the tax.

Or they sell it for 50 cents plus the tax.

 
At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

In California, 1991 was the year that this ridiculous tax was implemented.

The real news is there is an increased push to tax online newspaper subscriptions which have so far been exempt by the standard of not publishing more than 60 issues per year (technically they are publishing 0).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home