Wednesday, November 25, 2009

H1N1: Cancel Those Dinners!

And those parties.

I was reading something the other day from a doctor who expects a breakout of swine flu after Thanksgiving since so many people will be together for all those stupid dinners and parties.

Well, not me, and I suggest you also nip the possibility of swine flu infection in the bud by canceling any plans you have to go visiting tomorrow night.

The Times- Standard reports 45 people have been hospitalized for swine flu related reasons in Humboldt. The Press- Democrat reports 131 hospitalized in Sonoma County. Both counties have yet to vaccinate even half their populations with only around 20% vaccinated in Humboldt, so far.

This doesn't look good. Sure, the odds are against you or a loved one dying from it, but what if the worst does happen? After all, any of us could end up being one of the over 4000 people that have died from swine flu so far this year. How would you feel if someone you know got seriously ill or died just because you wanted to go to a party?

Cancel those Thanksgiving festivities. It's not too late. Do it for the children. You can still have a Thanksgiving dinner. Just have it at home.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we got a head start on the infection count. Both my wife and my 17 year old son are down with bad colds; doesn't seem to be H1N1 so far. But, it canceled our plans to go to the big family gathering in Ft Bragg. As of now, on Wednesday, no one except me feels like eating! I guess it's microwave dinner for me.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, but it's for the best. If you'd gone to Ft. Bragg you might of given people there what you have or, worse, brought something a lot worse home.

We both got sick about a month(?) ago. We're wondering if it was swine flu? Took me about 2 weeks to get over it. I wonder if there's any way to tell if you've been exposed to it?

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Unless you get pneumonia, the flu supposedly feels like any run of the mill bug, except maybe more intense. Most people who get it never know it.

As for Thanksgiving, I think there were similar warnings about Halloween.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, you've been warned, Eric. Don't come crying to me if you or anyone else catches something at your dumb dinner.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Rose said...

No double-dipping, no hugs, no handshakes, no pats on the back... put on your rubber suit, complete with Darth-Vader-like breathing apparatus (filters). You'll be fine.

here's a story to warm your heart this Thanksgiving...
When a small church comes to the Bowery Mission bearing fried chicken with trans fat, unwittingly breaking the law, they’re told “thank you.” Then workers quietly chuck the food, mission director Tom Bastile said.
“It’s always hard for us to do,” Basile said. “We know we have to do it.”
A Manhattan deli going out of business delivered a pickup truck’s worth of lettuce, sundried tomatoes, hamburgers, sausages and other food to the Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen last week.
With 1,400 meals to serve daily, Operations Manager Michael Ottley was extremely grateful. He didn’t check the trans fat content of the food.
Lines at soup kitchens are up by 21 percent this year, according to a NYC Coalition Against Hunger report released yesterday. The city’s law banishing trans fat took effect in July 2008 and touched everyone with Health Department food licenses — including emergency food providers.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Carol said...

My church going parents told me their church is not longer passing the peace, so no hand shaking or hugs. Also no dipping the communion wafers in the chalice.

We are staying home. I am going to stay my pajamas until I take the dog for a walk.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That is a wise move, Carol. I'm staying home, too.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Well it shows that those businesses are if nothing else,less discriminatory.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger mresquan said...

Hey,the above comment was meant for the thread above.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I know. I'll paste it there.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I know. I'll paste it there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home