Sunday, December 20, 2009

Against The Open Primary Proposal

I believe I've wrote before that I'm opposed to the initiative (or is it a referendum?) that will be on the June 2010 ballot that would establish a supposed "Open Primary" for California elections. My main reason for opposing it is it will give us less choice in elections.

My colleague, Richard Winger, publisher of the Ballot Access News is also opposed. Here's his argument against the so- called Maldanado Measure.
********

Why do I refer to him as my colleague? Because we were discussing some issue via e-mail some years ago- both of us being on the same side of that issue- and we both had letters to the editor on that issue published side by side in the San Francisco Chronicle on the same day.

For the life of me, I can't remember just what issue we were dealing with at the time.

Addendum: By golly, I found the letters! The issue was Prop 62, the last open (blanket) primary initiative from 2004. Richard's is the second letter, mine the third.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger richardwinger said...

Thanks, Fred.

The Maldonado measure on the June 2010 ballot is neither an initiative nor a referendum. Both initiatives and referenda get on the ballot by petitions. But the Maldonado measure was put on the ballot by the legislature in February 2009.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Ok. Thanx for the clarification, Richard. I get those mixed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home