Friday, January 08, 2010

SERVICE(!) and Saving Gas

So I lose the stinking gas cap to my riding mower yesterday and ordered a new one from Fernbridge Tractor and Equipment as they're the John Deere dealers up here. They didn't have one in stock but said they'd order one for me.

As I always do when ordering something from them, I asked them to ship it to me. Why bother driving to Fernbridge, especially for a silly gas cap? Shipping costs might well be less than the gas, not to mention taking the time to drive down there. Works well for me.

This was the best delivery, though. I ordered that cap just before noon yesterday. It arrived this morning, although whoever delivered it dropped it off next door. Not bad, huh? An order from Stockton (at least I think that's where they said they order from) and it got here in less than 24 hours.

They have a lawnmower service special going on right now. I should probably take advantage of that one myself.

4 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Blogger Humboldt said...

What's a lawnmower gas cap going for these days including tax and shipping Fred?

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

It hasn't shown up as a charge on my account yet, but the gas cap was a bit over $5.00 and the guy said it would be about that much for shipping. So, I'm guessing a bit over $10.00. Seems to me 5 to 6 bucks is worth saving me the drive.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Actually fred you saved $70.00

Your time is worth $70.00/hr + the $5.00 dollars you saved on gas = $75.00. Take away the $5.00 for shipping, so you saved a net of $70.00. You can take your wife out to a nice dinner for that much.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, that's a rather generous way of looking at it. Still, it does save money, although if the shipping ended up being a lot more for something heavy I might have to think twice about it.

Might be a good idea to have a lot of semi- locally bought items like that shipped, you think? That would assume a business would be willing to go through the hassle of shipping. Then again, it's probably a plus on their end not having me stop by to pick something up, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home