Saturday, November 20, 2010

Pickled Green Tomatoes

Anyone know of any local stores that sell pickled green tomatoes? Every now and then I get a yankering for some but I haven't been able to find them anywhere but online anymore.

I used to buy them down at Pete's Market on South Broadway years ago. I believe it was Del Monte or one of those other big pickle companies that offered them back in the late '70s. I guess I must of been the only one buying them as I can't find any major canner that offers them now.

The story of my life: I like something, but nobody else does so they stop making it.

6 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Chris Crawford said...

The BEST are Clausen's, the same supplier of those refrigerated crisp pickles. I have yet to find a local store carry them, but they do down South.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Are you talking Bay Area type south? If so, could you give me some store names?

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Chris Crawford said...

I used to get 'em at Safeway, so I wouldn't be surprised if the one in Santa Rosa carried them. It's on Mendocino Avenue just north of Steele Lane.

We usually get smoked salmon from relatives and they go GREAT with it.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have not had them for twenty years now I have to have them.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

It's been closer to 30 years for me, unless I'm forgetting something.

I actually had a friend of the wife give me a jar or two of home made pgts 10 or more years ago as a present. Couldn't eat them, though.

I thought they looked strange. There were black spots on some of them. Looked like tomato blight. Indeed, it was. They were real bitter, which is what blight does to tomatoes, among other things. It made them inedible.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next trip ask Trader Joes to stock them if they dont already.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home