Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My Cool New Quote About Aging

I'm working on this new statement about age. I came up with it accidentally while chatting with another player playing Aces High about an hour ago:

"I'd rather be four years younger and have a mortgage to pay off than four years older and not have a mortgage."

Pretty cool, huh? Except it doesn't roll off the lips all that well and takes just a hair more thinking to understand than I'd like. How about...

"I'd rather be 56 and have a mortgage to pay off than 60 and not have one."

That's not bad, either, but I'd rather leave out specific ages. Also, "...and not have one". One what? I suppose mortgage is obvious but some folks might read that to think it's about death, or something along that line, when it's supposed to be about not wanting to get older.

Maybe "I'd rather be 56 with a mortgage to pay off than 60 without one.". Hmmm??? Nope. Same thing and it almost could sound like I'm expecting to lose my home in four years.

Suggestions?

4 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being old is great, but getting old sucks.

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous skippy said...

The one I don't like:
"Getting old is like a shipwreck."
(~Joseph Kennedy Sr. I mean, really. Papa Kennedy had it going on, so why complain?)

The one I do like because it avoids reality:
"How old do you think you'd be if you didn't know how old you really were?"

Of course, I like the snappy tune:
"...Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?"

Ok, that does it. I'm thoroughly depressed now. And have a mortgage to pay. Thanks, Fred.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Getting old ain't for sisies.

If I had known that I was going to get this damn old I would have taken better care of myself.

I don't buy any green bananas.

Getting old is great when you consider the alternatives.

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"aging is the only way to live"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home