Friday, July 26, 2013

Eureka's Henderson Center

Julie Timmons, over at the Redwood Coast Business blog, has a post up about Eureka's Henderson Center- the past and the future. We've gotten into a little back and forth about "the good old days" there. Feel free to pipe in and add your own recollections or clarifications.

For instance, she recalls a Grace's PIzza where Hunan's is now. I don't recall a pizza place but do recall Grace's Bar, although you did pass some sort of restaurant setup as you walked back to the bar. It was always closed later at night when I went there.

I mostly wish we had the old Food Mart back (where Rite- Aid is now). What a loss to the neighborhood it was when that closed down.

Addendum: I moved up here 40 years ago, almost to the day. I'm trying to remember what businesses were in Henderson Center back then that still exist today. Unless I'm mistaken, I can only come up with three. I might be wrong about at least one of those.

Cherry Blossom Bakery, right across from what is now Rite- Aid. Henderson Center Laundromat- right next the Cherry Blossom and, of course, Fresh Freeze. Not completely sure about Cherry Blossom because I never paid much attention to it until maybe 30 years ago. That's the only three I remember. Any others?

3 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Just as I left the house a while ago I realized the gas station at Harris and E Street has been there for decades. It used to be a Rocket station. Now it's Patriot (or is it the other way around?).

It's still pretty much the same business, though, as the manager has been working there for 30 years or more.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a wonderful news stand on E St next to Shaffer's Hardware and Humboldt Tour and Travel on Harris. I also shopped at Purity which became Food Mart. This Purity had a newer look to it than most Purity stores (the traditional Purity style can be found at the Arcata Co-Op which was a Purity store up until the late 70s.)

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about 40 years ago since I wasn't alive then but there's still some older businesses still there. The barber center on Henderson and the flower place across the street have been around awhile. The Toy Barn is the same business as the Hobby House and that was around at least in the early 80's. Pacific Paper, Deo's, Henderson Center Bikes, and B of A have also been around since then.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home