Sunday, June 29, 2014

Freddy Does The Shockwave Fix

I'm getting the impression it's just me that has a problem with the Times- Standard's web site. I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem. It's actually not just the T-S web site. I've noticed lately that all the news sites run by the T-S parent company, Media News Group, mess up my computer to some extent.

The T-S web site seems the worst and I'll have to spend five minutes or more just to see if there is any news worth reading. If I'm there more than a minute or so I'll hear my CPU start rattling and it doesn't stop. The screen pretty much freezes. After a minute or two...or three, I'll get a message telling me the Shockwave Flash player is busy or stopped working. At least a couple times I've had a strange window open saying Shockwave has crashed. That's almost a good thing since it makes it easier to escape the site.

Yesterday I decided I need to figure out what's wrong so did a quick Google for Shockwave Flash problems. I found a few others had the same issues. The answer seems to be uninstalling Shockwave Flash and reinstalling it. I found the instructions here, although I was a bit leery at first it might be trying to get me to install malware. Looks legit, though, since it seems to be a Shockwave web site.

I'm going to try it before I check the T-S web site this morning and see if it works. Any suggestions are welcome. If you don't hear back from me, maybe I ruined the computer trying to fix it.

3 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Matthew Owen said...

It ain't just you , Fred. The Times-Standard website freezes up my PC on a regular basis.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Do you get the Shockwave Flash message? Even if it isn't that, I suspect it's because they try to cram too many scripts and other crap onto their site.

The Media News Groups sites are all similar, but some are worse than others in this regard. They own the Los Angeles Daily News. I used to never have a problem with that site but it froze up on me yesterday. So did the San Jose Mercury News site a day or two before.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Okay. It's done. The Times- Standard site does seem to be a little quicker. At least it didn't freeze up on me and I was able to navigate through it fairly quickly.

Right as I was getting ready to leave the site I scrolled down the page to see if that would freeze things up. It didn't, but I noticed about a 3"x3" box where I assumed a picture was supposed to be. No picture, but a message that "The Adobe Flash plugin has crashed. Reload page to try again".

I suppose that's still progress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home