Monday, October 13, 2014

Rep Candidate Beats Dem On Pot?

I'll admit to not following the race for State Attorney General closely, if at all. It was still a surprise to read the San Francisco Chronicle's Debra Saunders note at least one difference between the two candidates for Attorney General: Republican Ron Gold supports recreational use of marijuana. Democrat Kamala Harris either doesn't, or doesn't want to commit herself.

I wouldn't call myself a single issue voter. I'm not even sure of exactly how pot should be handled legally, but I appreciate someone taking a bold position. I was considering not voting in that race. Now I'm thinking I might vote for Ron Gold. Good thing I haven't sent my absentee ballot in yet.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debra Saunders is pretty much an idiot but...she does take a strong principled stand on marijuana laws. She sees the wrongness of punishing people for non-violent drug crimes. So her support for a candidate who holds that view is hardly surprising. However the question remains, is he simply pandering for votes?

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

From what little he's quoted as saying in the article, he doesn't sound as if he's pandering to me. Plus, he could alienate at least some of his Republican supporters by taking that stand.

Gavin Newsom seems to be one to me that panders. He seemed to oppose marijuana until opinion polls started shifting in favor of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home