Monday, March 16, 2015

The Latest Earthquake Warning

The Santa Rosa Press- Democrat's Pete Golis takes a ho-hum look at the latest earthquake warning. The Geological Survey warns us that chances for The Big One- an 8.0 or higher- in the next 30 years have increased to 7%.

Oh, NO! I'm sure my reaction was the same as many in thinking this was awful. Then I got to thinking and realized I was getting a bit carried away. In fact, when you look at it, I kinda wonder why that was considered newsworthy?

As I pointed out to Pete in comments to his article, those odds are just a guess. Yep, a guess. Maybe an educated guess but still just a guess. Besides, if the odds are around 7% that we'll have a major earthquake in the next 30 years, that means there's also a 93% chance we won't. Don't you feel better now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home