Friday, May 08, 2015

In Praise of Lawns

The Los Angeles Times' George Skelton wrote what I thought a nice commentary on the benefits of lawns. This, in response to the drought and resulting cries for the cessation of lawn irrigation if not the removal of lawns entirely. 

He makes some good points but didn't address what I've brought up on various online discussions over the drought and lawns: Lawns are a considerable part of our economy, and a large employer in the state.

I have no idea how many others work in lawn maintenance and related fields such as irrigation or gardening supplies and equipment. I feel safe in saying it's a fairly large number, probably to the tune of tens of thousands, if not a hundred thousand, statewide. Maybe more.

It should come as no surprise that environmentalists are getting louder and louder in saying we shouldn't be watering any lawns at all. Employment is the last thing the environmental crowd cares about. The rest of us need to consider the economic impacts of basically banning the work of so many people. That's generally what I try to add to the discussion.

I've agreed that in some parts of the state we might not have the resources to water lawns in the future. Maybe it will come to that. But we need to keep in mind there will be thousands of jobs affected if we go that route. That's not something that should be dismissed so casually.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Including your own! I haven't watered my lawn EVER and it's still alive. Don't know how I'll achieve a 25% reduction though.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" I haven't watered my lawn EVER and it's still alive."

Most lawns up here are cool season grasses, meaning they go dormant in the summer unless watered. I'd be surprised if even 10% of people up here water their lawns.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home