Saturday, June 27, 2015

Show & Tell

Nothing on my mind right now so I'll do some show and tell. This is a picture my sister sent me the other day. It's our father in WW2. He was a radar officer on an Landing Ship Dock (LSD). This was probably one of those pictures sent home for morale purposes- the old "Our boys over there" thing and published in the home town papers.

He actually brought home a Japanese flag, but not like the one in the picture. The one he had didn't have the radiant stripes extending from the sun. Just a big red ball in the middle. 

I took over his war memorabilia and ruined the flag and all his other stuff in short order. Shame that young kids don't appreciate that stuff until it's too late.

3 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My uncle was a tank commander in the 2nd Armored Div who saw action in North Africa and Europe. He brought back a big nazi banner type flag he ripped off a building. Perhaps about 8'X 16'.

We had that big red thing with a black and white swastika in the center for several years. It was used as a sofa cover while new upholstery was being made once and I used it as a tent at our summer place on the Delaware River upstate PA/NY. In 1955 the river flooded after one of those east coast hurricanes. The river got within 40' of the farmhouse that was situated well above the river by over 100'. (One reason I'll never live near a river). Mom decided, out of the blue, to take that flag and toss it in the river. I often thought about that and how somebody downstream must have gotten an interesting surprise when the water receded.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Love that WWII nostalgia. If I had to live in another era it would be WWII. My dad and uncles were in the service but didn't see combat.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I love the WW2 history and memorabilia. Not sure I'd want to live back then.

I've often thought I'd want to live in the days of the Old West, maybe the 1800s. That's kinda dumb, though, as the odds of me running into some of the famous characters (Earp, Custer, Hickok) I like to read about were probably slim to none. People didn't get around as much then as they do now.

Plus, those guys weren't really historical characters at the time so you probably wouldn't think much of it if you did meet them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home