Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The University of California Pay Scam

Perhaps I shouldn't call it a scam...yet, but I have to wonder. Calwatchdog just covered it a bit and some of us have read stories about the regents and chancellors of the University of California system. They gave themselves a raise after hard fought negotiations over funding. They said that was the only way to avoid tuition increases. I'm wondering about something I don't think I've seen addressed here. 

The regents and others say they need to pay high six figure salaries to retain and recruit the best and brightest.  Ok, fine, but what do those best and brightest do? Can anyone point to one of these academic high rollers that really accomplished anything or turned a bad situation around? Did they do something notable that only they could do and someone with a lower salary and/or education could never have done? Paint me skeptical.

In fact, I don't know that I've ever heard anything really great about any of these folks, although I'll be the first to admit I don't really pay much attention to that sort of thing. I know there was a lot of kindly farewells to past HSU President (is that what he was?) Rollin Richmond, but I don't recall any praise of substance. 

I did hear some complaints about him from those at HSU, but that's to be expected with anyone. I'd like to hear of some solid accomplishments someone in his position made that makes it worth the money they get. About the only real strong praise I've heard for Richmond was from a brother- in- law who is enamored of higher education. He wrote a letter to the Times- Standard praising Richmond. His biggest accomplishment? How educated Richmond was. Whew! Is that it?

Anyway, the silence is deafening and it's strange we hear all the complaints about those in private business that make six figure salaries, but nothing about these higher ups in the U.C. system that have most likely accomplished a lot less with their lives. I can't help but think it's just another example of the educational- industrial complex taking on a life of its own.

3 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't understand why they won't work for communist wages like most of the world does. Or why they don't just take government handouts like Fred.

Keep cheering for low wages and our country will get just that.

Did you come from a rich family where hard work is frowned upon?

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

One of the dumber comments I've seen here.

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I was about to tell you to pick up a book and turn off your TV. The stupid box isn't helping your intellect any.

Keep cheering for lower wages for American workers. See where that leads us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home