Thursday, May 26, 2016

New, "Improved" Web Sites

If it's one thing that seems bogus to me, it's that the tech industry is at the cutting edge of innovation and improvements. Maybe I'm suffering tunnel vision as right now I'm thinking about supposed "new and improved" web sites.

One that comes to mind is the supposed new and improved weather dot com web site. It was fine as it was. Now it's worse. You used to be able to go there and quickly see the current day's forecast. Now you have to click on the 5 day forecast just to see what's going to happen the rest of the day. I'd hardly call that an improvement.

Then there's Tracfone dot com. I've been trying for a day now to buy more time for the wife's cell phone through their web site but, when I'm ready to go to Checkout, it takes me to some irrelevant page. Tried buy the time through her phone but it's not working. I just did an online chat thing with Tracfone, but the guy just told me to call their 800 number. That's fine, except then I'll actually have to talk to someone and it assumes I'll be able to understand him. Him being one of "them". 

Arent't they all?
I've been thinking about it and haven't been able to come up with one example of anything that's really improved the last few years wih our tech supported innovation. To be fair, I don't think Tracfone ever said their site was new and improved.

But still, anyone know of a legitimately improved tech service? I think the old gmail and Yahoo mail was better than their current one.

Well, maybe cars, but I'm not even sure about that. Maybe it was better back in the day when I had to walk 5 miles through 20 feet of snow to get to school, unlike all you wet- behind- the- ears- pups nowadays. Then again, would any tech innovations helped with that? Was there even much tech back then?

To be fair to the tech folks, I know they need something to do. Once they develop an e-mail program or web site, they're pretty much out of a job unless they come up with a new one, or screw around with the old one. They need to keep in mind, though, if something works, don't try and fix it.

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you Fred. Its nice though, being freed from the addictions of learning about the newest line ups of over priced smartphones. Track phones are great.
Speaking of walking 20 miles in the snow, it won't be long before we are all having no choice but to return to this mode of transportation. This is the goal of the non elected regional planners who have taken over our elected boards. San Diego is facing a lawsuit if they don't comply with the strings attached grants they received. (Trails, Parkletts, yadda). Expect our communities to be facing the same. (Automobile use cut to half within a certain time frame). Jolly jolly joy joys. Unless people fight back, of course, & kick the regional takeover out of the communities. Which, I'm sure they will once they realize what's really happening behind the scenes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home