Friday, September 16, 2016

League of Women Voters Bails on Presidential Debates

The League of Women Voters has withdrawn sponsorship of the presidential debates run by the Republican and Democratic parties. A press release states, the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD)- the ones responsible for running those widely seen television debates of presidential candidates by the two main parties (that make up the CPD) have limited the choices voters can watch in the debates to just Trump and Clinton (not official, but I've heard they made their decision today)

".... because the demands of the two campaign organizations would perpetrate a fraud on the American voter," League President Nancy M. Neuman said today.


Which isn't to disparage the LoWV. I've been impressed with the way they handle candidate forums up here. They're even handed and allow all candidates to participate, regardless of party.

Yet  I'm surprised at their spunk in this instance. I would have expected them to go along to get along. Good for them. 

Boycott the debates as some have suggested? I'm not sure that would have much effect as the CPB won't know who is or isn't watching. I'll likely not be watching them anyway. I wouldn't expect to hear Clump say anything they haven't said already. 

You can see the League's full press release here. Rather strongly worded. Again, I would have expected them to go along to get along.

5 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link provided to the "League's full press release" leads to a a press release dated 10/03/1988. Rather misleading.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah, 1988. I hadn't noticed that. I think it's still valid, though.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I haven't looked far but I see nothing about this on their home page:
http://lwv.org/

Maybe I need to check later?

 
At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doh.

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linking to a 28 year old press release as if it was news...I guess that's exactly what I would expect from a guy supporting the dude who didn't have a clue when asked about Aleppo. Birdbrains of a feather, flock together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home