Monday, January 30, 2017

John Hardin Does The Drug War

Lost Coast Outpost commentator and fellow blogger, John Hardin, looks at the drug war and what the drug trade has done to southern Humboldt. I had to take issue with one thing he wrote: "Cannabis consumers deserve safe, reliable cannabis products". 

I don't get that one. Just as I commented to our very own Sally when she recently commented that the mentally ill deserve good treatment, or whatever it was she wrote. I don't see how the mentally ill or cannabis consumers deserve anything. That reads like it makes it a right, or something we owe them. I suppose cannabis consumers deserve a decent product if only for the large amounts of money they pay, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's their right and I owe it to them to make it that way.

If I'd gotten someone addicted to pot, maybe I'd feel some responsibility that amounted to them deserving something from me, but that's not the case. They don't deserve good dope anymore than I deserve good beer for my money. It's not an entitlement. At least shouldn't be.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on Fred, brilliantly stated.
We ourselves deserve the blessings that can only come from self governing with moral compass. It up to each individual to seek the best for self and to seek the best for others. Forced opinions and solutions only trap us into ruts of delusion and despair.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I might have figured this out, with one commentator at Lost Coast Outpost taking issue with my criticism of the "d" word.

Using 'deserve' is a good method of writing and speaking. It makes the person saying or writing it seem generous.

It also fits in with the California notion of entitlement- that being, if your body is warm, you deserve a food, a house and whatever else.

Can't lose by saying someone or some group deserves something, unless you're the one tasked with providing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home