Wednesday, August 01, 2007

An Appointment With The DMV?

I have to get my driver's license renewed this month. Since it's been a number of years since I'd had my photo taken, among other things, I'm required to show up in person.

The notification seemed to emphasize making an appointment with the local office to save time although an appointment wasn't required.


Hmm... appointments kinda cramp my style, not being used to have to show up at a certain time very often anymore. Besides, quite honestly, I feel things go pretty quick at the DMV nowadays. The few times I've been in there the last couple years, I've been in and out within 20 to 25 minutes, or so it seemed.

So why make an appointment? Well, just to see how well their online appointment thing works.

Pretty simple, actually. You just select what office you intend to visit, fill in your name, location and select what the appointment is for. Then they tell you when the soonest available appointment is. Not bad.

Except the nearest appointment was August 17 and my license expires on the 18th. Too close for comfort for me.

I'll just stop in today, take a number and wait, as I usually do.

13 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Rose said...

This is your week for painful procedures, Fred.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Indeed. The DMV is the least of them, though. I think they've improved quite a bit through the years.

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In order to be given privledges from officials, people on welfare like Fred should spend much of their time waiting in lines, being compelled to behave with restraint. Its necessary babysitting that the irresponsible adults require. Otherwise they'd be out causing trouble for themselves and the productive elements of society. Like those unexplained traffic accidents.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, that didn't work. Drove over to the DMV at around 11:00ish and it looked real crowded. Didn't even bother parking. I'll try going by there again now.

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, everyone sleeps in on Thursdays.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

The drive to Weaverville is worhtwhile.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the dmv in garberville is never crowded..

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

They have a DMV in Garberville???

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Looking at the DMV web site, yes they do! If I would have set up an appointment there, the earliest date would have been August 7, ten days earlier than Eureka.

Not that it matters now. Just got back from the DMV. Left here around 9:20 and got back around 9:50. Just a half hour. Not bad.

Best to go earlier, I guess.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work Fred. Glad this major issue is resolved. Whats next? Gotta go pee?

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11:23 ah ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha ha ha. My feelings exactly

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to go to the DMV to renew my license last year for the first time in 8 years. I made an appointment several days in advance. I showed up several minutes early. I had to take an eye exam and they wanted a new photo. And I had to write a check of course. It took all of 10 minutes. I was gone from the office for maybe 20 minutes.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience to A Bird's. The line was stratching out the door but moved very quickly. What scared ME was that, while waiting for my friend, I saw a guy come screeching up in an old convertible at five minutes AFTER 5pm. He pounded on the windows for a while, then stormed back to his car and literally had a tantrum right in his car, screaming obscenites and then roaring off, speeding. With assholes like that on the road, what chance do the rest of us have ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home