Monday, July 30, 2007

Nigerian E- Mail Scam Evolves

The Sacramento Bee reports that a nigerian type e-mail scam picks up this time of year in college towns. Supposed renters are sending supposed deposit checks to potential landlords, ripping off the gullible ones.

They refer to Davis in the story but I can't help but wonder if they might try targeting Arcata sooner or later. Or have they already?

As an aside, I'm with the commentors on the story (comments are at bottom of story) I can't believe the girl in the story went along with this scam for so long.

Oh, as usual, if asked for a login, you can use humboldtlib for a username and blogspot for a password.

11 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well Fred:

I just got a classic. This email claimed that because of all of the nigerian scams, the Country's reputation had suffered. Thus a fund had been set up to send money - $17 mil to selected individuals in the US to create goodwill.

All I had to do was verify some personal info and.....well you know the rest.

Cripes

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Soon as I get a chance I will read that story Fred, those scams and the return scams are hilarious.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Here's my favorite reverse-Nigeria scam.

Jumbo-Hippy-Dildo-Yankee-Hobbit-Pony!

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your favorite scam is a File Not Found page?

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Hank Sims said...

Oops.

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like four "Nigerians" just pulled off a home invasion on Main Street in Fortuna.

That's taking criminality one step too far, if you ask me!

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Jim Crow said...

Anonymous might be more comfortable back in ol' Mississippi.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Crow said...
Anonymous might be more comfortable back in ol' Mississippi.

10:28 PM

Not at all, I'd be more comfortable living, like most of the ostriches around here, in a "State of Denial."

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neither of our intrepid local newspapers have published one word of followup coverage since their initial articles about the Fortuna Home Invasion story.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Perhaps because it's old news?

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the people who did the crime are still on the loose, they may be walking our streets right now. If the papers printed their pictures, we could know their faces. Knowing what they look like might lead to their apprehension. It might even save some Humboldter from becoming a new victim of crime.

This self-imposed news blackout might mean the media believes there is nothing to report. Or, more ominously, it might mean that the details of what was done to those two people in Fortuna is worse than what has been revealed so far.

Other home invasions around this nation have in recent years led to terrible assaults and worse crimes than that.

How do any of us know the extent of the crimes committed in Fortuna, since no news organization is taking responsibility for reporting anything that happened after the initial report over a week ago?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home